What difference does transformer lamination orientation make?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I read it as using the stator core as the core for the toroid. Take the outer casing off and existing windings out and wrap with wire.

Strantor, can't you find an old three phase transformer? Don't remember what they were called but they were used to drop out of three phase and then down to single phase for light circuits. Enclosed in sheetmetal and around 12 -14 inches square. Used to see them at flea markets cause guys would rip them off at work without knowing they were three phase.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I read it as using the stator core as the core for the toroid. Take the outer casing off and existing windings out and wrap with wire.

Strantor, can't you find an old three phase transformer? Don't remember what they were called but they were used to drop out of three phase and then down to single phase for light circuits. Enclosed in sheetmetal and around 12 -14 inches square. Used to see them at flea markets cause guys would rip them off at work without knowing they were three phase.
Yeah I've got a beefy 480>240 3phase transformer but I don't want to destroy it, nor do I want to dig it out from the polymer it's entombed in.
The idea is more for a general source of transformer cores, for everybody. Not just me.
Microwave transformers are well known in our circles as being the go-to guy when you need more power than what you can buy at RadioShack. That source is drying up, and I'm wondering if motor stators can replace it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Here's that one video I found which illustrates what I'm talking about. The stator he used in the video is pretty tiny and it doesn't look like he's getting a whole lot out of it, but I think that if a larger stator were used and wound better, with the proper wire, it could be a force to be reckoned with.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Strantor, you might want to give one of the magnetics software programs a try, for the answers to your questions. I'm pretty sure member Praondeavue(spelling) gave me the link when I had a question of magnetic flux in a core.
http://www.femm.info/wiki/HomePage
badass! thanks! I downloaded & installed it. Took a quick look-see at the examples. Looks like it will take some time to figure it out. I don't have time to sit down and dig into it right now, for all the same reasons I don't have time to just go out into the garage and rewind a stator and see what happens. It's a busy cluster of months for me. When I catch up on life (hopefully in another month or less) I will sit down and bash my brain against it.