What can I say!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
An armed society is a polite society.

In most U.S. states with open carry laws, it is against the law for the police to challenge a gun carrying person unless that person is suspected of having committed a crime.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yep. And despite it being legal, how many more bloodbaths have occurred at airports where it's legal than where it isn't.

Law abiding armed citizens are NOT the problem, and disarming them will NOT get guns out of the hands of criminals.

Normally I'm not a fan of people exercising their rights (and it IS their right) in this manner as I think it is generally counter-productive. But given the recent tests that demonstrated that weapons could be snuck through TSA screenings 95% of the time -- which do nothing but confirm my assertions that I've been making since before TSA even existed, namely that airport security screenings, as it is conducted, are nothing except security theater and do virtually nothing to actually prevent a criminal from getting a weapon on the airplane -- I'm not so sure that his statements aren't quite reasonable.

When I was a kid (8 - 12 years old) I was involved in competitive shooting and our range was in the basement of a converted church near downtown Denver. We had a lot of kids (ages 8 to 18) that had to ride the city busses to and from range meets, which were held four evening of the week and on Saturday afternoons. Some of them couldn't afford rifle cases and so they simply carried their rifles openly with their ammunition stuffed in their pockets. That had gone on for decades (the Denver tolleys were used before the busses replaced them) and there was never once an incident of any kind.

When my dad was a kid (1930's) it was extremely common for kids, particularly boys, to bring their guns to school. The reason was simple, they were often responsible for shooting dinner on the way home.

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
My son in law is a Metro Officer in Las Vegas. He told me that law students will often strap on a gun and parade around in from of local police trying to get them challenge them about carrying a gun. Not so much in the Southwest, but it is common on the East coast.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
What absolute baloney that he has a 'right' to carry. Not every swinging di#k has the "right" to carry. There is no guarantee of that.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
In states where the right is spelled out, it is.

There is a new civil rights hobby going on right now, cop watching. I just ordered a couple of really small cameras for $10 each.

PBS did a show on it in Dallas Friday night. It is interesting how many cops feel threatened by being recorded.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What absolute baloney that he has a 'right' to carry. Not every swinging di#k has the "right" to carry. There is no guarantee of that.

You may want to do a some reading on said laws and how they are interpreted and enforced in each state or location. If the gun carrier has met all applicable federal state and local laws and ordinance requirements then yes dickless or heavily dicked he/she does have a right to carry. ;)

If it's not breaking a law then it's legal even if others don't like or feel comfortable with said actions. Ones ignorance of the law is not a reason others should have to act as you wish them to. :cool:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Article [II] (Amendment 2 - Bearing Arms)
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Laws can be changed. Rights cannot be.
Not quite: Rights can only be sacrificed to law, not given by it. As stated in our Constitution, we have the right to everything not specifically ceded by law to government in the Constitution.

Just in case it was vague and not clear enough that this was the case, smart people came along and added the Bill of Rights including the 2nd amendment to specifically note the right to bear arms was one of those rights not ceded by law. The amendments are all a bit redundant in defining rights we already had, but they were necessary at points in time of our history, to push back those that were looking to infringe our rights or to undo infringements already being practiced.

The Constitution can be changed if you don't like it. If you think you can convince enough fellow Americans to cede their right to bear arms and abandon the 2nd amendment, go for it. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
You might want to my posts before quoting and responding. Laws can be changed. Rights cannot be.
I read your post and took it as it states so unless you mistyped your wording giving your post a unintended meaning different than you think it should have had I have no reasons to try and read between the lines for any other meanings or content.

Here is what I got from your post.
Sentence one.
What absolute baloney that he has a 'right' to carry.
Opinion not a law based fact.

Sentence two.
Not every swinging di#k has the "right" to carry.
Again your opinion not a factual law.

Sentence three.
There is no guarantee of that.
Uninformed opinion being that in fact if the firearm carrying person is in accordance to the federal, state and local laws he/she is in fact guaranteed that they are not breaking any laws nor are legally required to obey or submit personal opinion of others who are not familiar with or in favor ofthe laws as the stand at the point of incidence or action if they chose not to.

As my reply post went I was under the inclination that we were not talking about or referring to 'what if' and 'maybe someday' changes or laws. I deal with what's in effect in the present and immediate timeline of an action or event as does the legal and court systems.

For example. Some day they may change the speed limits on the highway near my house but until when whatever the new speed limit they post is in place the present speed limit stands as the correct one to obey.

Until a law or ordinance is formally changed or updated what is presently in effect stands as being the correct and applicable ones.

If anyone else cares to jump in here and clarify where I was in error on how I took your post they are fee to do so. Otherwise I will have to concede that your inability to properly convey your intent through text is not my or anyone else's problem. ;)

And what they said. ^ :p

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
http://fox13now.com/2014/09/10/frie...ctions/#ooid=szbTM5cDo7HV7Z7yBwAmCZ48Oqoq7Enq

I am 20 min away from this area and a man is shot for carrying a Samurai Sword. Obviously he ran; probably not the best thing to do; police are usually ramped up and adrenaline has kicked in and their on a natural drug. All you have to do is press the button and it's all over for any individual "law abiding or not" ; it's best to just lay down the weapon and raise your hands or hand it over plain and simple.

Granted with that said; Utah has some crazy people and most are abusing drugs. We have seen a rise in criminal activity and gangs involved who's members are hardened criminals. This person didn't appear to be on drugs; some people said he was swinging the sword around but it was never proven as far as I know; with that said it's a weapon. Once the weapon is out of it's holster it becomes potentially deadly; a Gun, a Knife, or worse yet a sword.

If it's holstered and not brandished to me it's not a weapon and as a law abiding citizen if I'm stopped I don't run from the police I stand and do as I'm told and it is my right to question the police as to search or size my weapon at the moment if no crime has been committed and yes they will know they are being recorded if I were to carry. Just because I believe police need to know the difference between Law abiding and Criminal type behavior.

kv

Last edited:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
If anyone else cares to jump in here and clarify where I was in error on how I took your post they are fee to do so. Otherwise I will have to concede that your inability to properly convey your intent through text is not my or anyone else's problem.
I'll concede you inability to comprehend simple statements of facts.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Not quite: Rights can only be sacrificed to law, not given by it. As stated in our Constitution, we have the right to everything not specifically ceded by law to government in the Constitution.
Where is that stated?

The Constitution can be changed if you don't like it. If you think you can convince enough fellow Americans to cede their right to bear arms and abandon the 2nd amendment, go for it. Good luck with that.
Nothing needs to be changed in the Constitution. The 2nd amendment isn't a "free for all" for open carry. If that is the case, then why are only two states mentioned for open carry in airports? If everyone has such a right, why isn't it allowed in all 50 states?

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I'll concede you inability to comprehend simple statements of facts.
Well as a largely fact based forum feel free to educate me and everyone else on the facts of how your statements are factual. I'm sure many here are now wanting to know. ;)

If everyone has such a right, why isn't it allowed in all 50 states?
Really? The levels of state and local law/ordinances underlying the federal level laws are unfamiliar to you? o_O

So are you trolling us or are you really that unfamiliar/ignorant with or of the real hierarchy of our nation's laws and legalities systems? :oops:

Here's a link to the US constitution and its amendments. Feel free to quote and guide me and anyone else to the parts that support your opinions to be facts being I and likely a number of others here would like to know where and how we are reading things incorrectly.

http://context.montpelier.org/docum...VQc0FZV4f_ZwGDzpuxO7NsanVlFkYShuoQaArWn8P8HAQ

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
It's all in knowing how where and if your confronted. I don't carry; I don't have too! Being confronted is like being struck by lightning; if thats the case I always carry my knife. Very sharp not a big knife and if I'm confronted and it's within 3 feet which is where I wish it would be anyone carrying a gun and having not fired the weapon is going to be dead in less than 7 seconds.

Sad part is I would most likely go to prison; because my hands were registered by the police when I entered Wing-Chun Kung-fu Association. I was not aware at the time until 4 years after the fact; all of which is close combat training including weapons. One of the local police departments also received training in order defend themselves in close quarters.

I would rather conceal my weapons rather than display either, gun or knife it's really not to your advantage.
Excerpt from Art of War
  • 卑则骄之
    • Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.
I don't think much; no premeditation just responding to threats as needed and have been trained to do. Your body reacts to threats at that point; it's all muscle memory.
kv

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Well as a largely fact based forum feel free to educate me and everyone else on the facts of how your statements are factual. I'm sure many here are now wanting to know. ;)
I'm sure many already know.

Really? The levels of state and local law/ordinances underlying the federal level laws are unfamiliar to you?
As the question is nonsense, there is no way to answer.

So are you trolling us or are you really that unfamiliar/ignorant with or of the real hierarchy of our nation's laws and legalities systems?
I'm not trolling, but you might be.

Here's a link to the US constitution and its amendments. Feel free to quote and guide me and anyone else to the parts that support your opinions to be facts .
And feel free to do the same.

being I and likely a number of others here would like to know where and how we are reading things incorrectly
Who are these 'others'? Your imaginary friends?

http://context.montpelier.org/docum...VQc0FZV4f_ZwGDzpuxO7NsanVlFkYShuoQaArWn8P8HAQ

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Under the laws of his state, he had every right to carry in the fashion that he did. Please show the statute that denies him that right.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Under the laws of his state, he had every right to carry in the fashion that he did. Please show the statute that denies him that right.
A statute isn't a right. For an example of how they differ, see my comment above referring to which can be changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.