What battery has the longest shelf life?

Triple9Nickel

Joined May 31, 2020
If you were to find a battery on a shelf that is, say 10-20 years old, what type is battery is most likely to have any charge left on it? I understand it varies, and that it would most likely be dead, but I'm curious in which situation you might possibly have any juice left.

Preferably something commonly used like a 6V lantern battery. Thank you.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008

Tron Jockey

Joined May 3, 2020
Depends, need more info. Are you concerned with rechargeable batteries and self discharge? The trusty old alkaline energizer has an incredible shelf life (some can retain over 80% capacity even after 10 years), and the energizer lithiums can hold a charge for over 15 years but both are not rechargeable. For rechargeable batteries the most durable one might be the rechargeable NiFe battery (Edison) battery. They massive, heavy and inefficient but can withstand incredible abuse and keep right on going. There are actually surviving examples of Edison's original NiFe battery that are still useable. They also have very high self-discharge rates. There are some very high quality (i.e. expensive) SLA batteries can last up to 15 years or more. Check out Rolls Surettes SLA batteries

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Non-rechargeable lithium cells, but you'd find them on the shelf of electronic parts dealer, a parts hoarder, or maybe a military surplus dealer. As for more common types; with alkalines I suspect that build quality is important. The Sony AA cells that came with my Sony CRT TV lasted over ten years.