What are software and hardware requirements for a embedded system mounted on a rifle scope?

naseeam

Joined Jan 4, 2017
What are software and hardware requirements for a embedded system mounted on a rifle scope?

I need to specify detailed image processing and graphics overlay requirements for state of the art rifle scope? I'm looking to specify the entire pipeline starting from image sensor to display. The specification needs to be comprehensive. It'll be used to select resources such as Integrated circuits, knobs, buttons, memory, etc.. The specification will also drive detailed design document and will be used to validate the final product.

Image sensor needs to be monochrome, with sufficient resolution, high dynamic range. I also need to specify image sensor calibration but what is the need to calibrate image sensor? How calibration works in a typical image sensor from BAE Systems?

The specification should include Reset Initialization specification, Normal Operation Specification, and Fault Operation specification.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019

I need to specify detailed image processing and graphics overlay requirements for state of the art rifle scope? I'm looking to specify the entire pipeline starting from image sensor to display. The specification needs to be comprehensive. It'll be used to select resources such as Integrated circuits, knobs, buttons, memory, etc.. The specification will also drive detailed design document and will be used to validate the final product.

Image sensor needs to be monochrome, with sufficient resolution, high dynamic range. I also need to specify image sensor calibration but what is the need to calibrate image sensor? How calibration works in a typical image sensor from BAE Systems?

The specification should include Reset Initialization specification, Normal Operation Specification, and Fault Operation specification.
With all due respect, if you don't know what to specify or how to find out on your own, why are you writing such a BOM and how do you expect to? This is not the sort of project you do buy asking in Internet forums. What's going on?

naseeam

Joined Jan 4, 2017
What does BOM stand for?

I'm relatively new to optics industry. I'm trying to learn typical technical specification of a embedded system mounted on a rifle scope?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
What does BOM stand for?

I'm relatively new to optics industry. I'm trying to learn typical technical specification of a embedded system mounted on a rifle scope?
BOM is Bill of Materials, it's what you are asking for. So this is purely theoretical?

This is a task for a very experienced engineer, even a team. It doesn't seem a good way to learn much, you will never know if you succeeded, and it requires a complete design which you don't have. How will you know what you need when you haven't said what you are doing or how?

You are asking for one of the last steps in a complicated process.

Mike Leist

Joined Feb 26, 2019
I really don't think discussing weaponary is appropriate. Apart from anything else, you will flag yourself to those which monitor such activities and you will certainly get no help from me.

naseeam

Joined Jan 4, 2017
This is hunting application. Coming up with technical requirements is first step.

By the way, Image sensor is infrared.

Uilnaydar

Joined Jan 30, 2008
This is another one of those fun projects....

..... that are VERY TOUGH to do.

With that said, you have a TON of variables to break down. The shock/vibration requirements for my .22lr or 5.56mm are quite a bit different from my 7.62mm or the .50 cal barrett I want... (please honey, it's not that much.... pretty please.) If I put an optical scope made for a .22lr on my 7.62mm it would get eaten alive.

That's just calibers.

Here's more:
  • What about how it's mounted, carried, transported? What MOA is required? If you need to ask what MOA is, that's a heck of a discussion.
  • Does the system need to automagically correct for windage, elevation difference, range (projectiles don't fly flat - or do they? maybe?)
  • IP rating? Weekend plinkers aren't expected to swim 3 miles at a depth between 0 and 33' underwater. Will your scope need to do this?
There are 100s of issues like this that EOTech probably addresses with teams of mechanical and electrical engineers along with ergonomics folks, quality, reliability, legal, etc etc etc.

Heck the above is just a small portion of hardware issues. Imagine the advanced math and programming requirements! OUCH.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
With that said, you have a TON of variables to break down. The shock/vibration requirements for my .22lr or 5.56mm are quite a bit different from my 7.62mm or the .50 cal barrett I want... (please honey, it's not that much.... pretty please.) If I put an optical scope made for a .22lr on my 7.62mm it would get eaten alive.

That's just calibers.

Heck the above is just a small portion of hardware issues. Imagine the advanced math and programming requirements! OUCH.
Even more fundamentally, what is the purpose of it? What is it supposed to do? It's easy enough (relatively speaking) to fit a sensor to an existing scope, but once you've done that, what do you want to do with the data? How could you do a BOM for something that doesn't even have a theory of operation?

Uilnaydar

Joined Jan 30, 2008
This is hunting application. Coming up with technical requirements is first step.

By the way, Image sensor is infrared.
These SCOPES are used for COYOTE HUNTING. Something in the sentence to the left will give you a good idea of the technical specs. I see some of the big boys in there. Might want to add "IP Search" to your technical requirements.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Sounds like a homework assignment to me. Be it an unusual one. I can't imagine someone building their own programmable scope. The development costs would have to be enormous for someone not already in the business. .

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
They are whatever they are. You will get exactly nowhere until you go back and define exactly, and in detail, what this embedded system is supposed to do. Until you do that, all the rest of the "stuff" you mentioned in your post is meaningless.

Start at the beginning, not in the middle.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have actually worked on FLIR (Forward Looking IR)rifle scopes as a contractor for Raytheon, Such systems are commercially available on the open market. I don't feel comfortable discussing them too freely. But I will say the video was 640X300 pixels.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009

Yes