Well this explains a lot of the thread questions we get here.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There was a movie about that where this average guy sleeps for some number of years and wakes up as the smartest guy standing.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
There was a movie about that where this average guy sleeps for some number of years and wakes up as the smartest guy standing.
I think that plot was the basis for my last half dozen or so jobs. :(

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I keep telling my kids that the world is their oyster, they just have to be my generation's version of 'average' to be super-successful today.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It would help if we got rid of smart phones and social media...

What the hell are you going to learn from other people that are as dumb as you are?
The purpose is never to learn anything, it is to see that you still have groupthink approval.

It's a substitute for that feeling of self worth you know you've earned.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
:(
http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news/american-millennials-are-among-worlds-least-skilled/vi-AA9HErI

It's not just my perceptions but people from the latest generation in America really are lazier and dumber than ever before. :mad:
It took a bit of digging, but I found the actual report.

http://www.ets.org/s/research/30079/asc-millennials-and-the-future.pdf

Haven't read it yet.

One thing I noted in the articles I read is that they are making the same apples-to-oranges comparisons that are so common. The lump people with a four-year college degree all into the same basket and then think that comparisons are somehow meaningful. But if a high percentage of college degrees in Country X are in engineering and an even higher percentage in Country Y are in Cultural Awareness and Empowerment Studies, would it come as a shock that college graduates in Country X outperform those in Country Y in numeracy? Virtually every study on any topic fails to recognize that not every college degree is equivalent to every other college degree.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The complacency and belief that someone owes them something rather than having to work for it themselves is what bugs me the most and apparently its not just a thing related to the US and the latest generation either.

My wife is Turkish born and raised there and 39 years old yet she by far stands out in my life as being of the latest generation and not of mine. According to her she is a high end professional. By my less than over achieving standards she id barely functional in all aspects. Not much higher than our 6 year old daughter to be honest.

If it can't be had by two clicks of a button its not worth doing herself but it sure is worth whining about until someone gets so sick of hearing her they do it for her. Don't get me started on what happens when she cant have her Ipad and Iphone to keep her social media going. Ever see a autistic kid loose their favorite toy? Yea it's like that and more.:(

Now job wise she barely clocks in 40 hours a week of which she maybe does 15 - 20 of actual work while there, pulls down ~$50K a year, has 3+ weeks of vacation time and health insurance that is better than what most any oil industry company can afford but figures she should be doing better by now. :rolleyes:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The complacency and belief that someone owes them something rather than having to work for it themselves is what bugs me the most and apparently its not just a thing related to the US and the latest generation either
One word: entitlement ... that's what bothers me most too...

Treeman

Joined May 22, 2014
Great movie. Well I say great but I'm falling into the trap by using that word. Its coming though. N.B. I try hard before my posts but at my age and with all the mini me's running my life I need a Thyme Musheen to pretend I'm 14 and have a hope.
Really appreciate all the help I get here, even the gentle reminders to try harder.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I keep telling my kids that the world is their oyster, they just have to be my generation's version of 'average' to be super-successful today.
I've thought throughout my life (well, since I was old enough to ponder such things) that I was born in the wrong time. I can't relate well to others in my generation and identify more with people my dad's age and older. But I supposed I could choose to view my misfitness as a gift. Maybe my arrival was purposely postponed by a higher power so that I may come into this world and totally own it, with little effort. It is so easy to be exceptional among the sea of mediocrity. Or idiocracy if you prefer (I do).

It is worth noting however, that this lackluster generation was raised by the so called better generations that came before it. Garbage in, garbage out. Once again, a gift for me. I should not attribute the overwhelming unclaimed opportunities left behind by my generation to some higher power. I have the baby boomers and their offspring to thank for that.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I've thought throughout my life (well, since I was old enough to ponder such things) that I was born in the wrong time. I can't relate well to others in my generation and identify more with people my dad's age and older. But I supposed I could choose to view my misfitness as a gift. Maybe my arrival was purposely postponed by a higher power so that I may come into this world and totally own it, with little effort. It is so easy to be exceptional among the sea of mediocrity. Or idiocracy if you prefer (I do).

It is worth noting however, that this lackluster generation was raised by the so called better generations that came before it. Garbage in, garbage out. Once again, a gift for me. I should not attribute the overwhelming unclaimed opportunities left behind by my generation to some higher power. I have the baby boomers and their offspring to thank for that.
My kids are exceptional, not just my narrow view but other people that meet them tend to make special effort to let me know: Teachers, neighbors, ... I don't know if it is work-ethic, natural ability or active parenting (or a combination of their entire development).

For the rest of your comment, read the book "The Millionaire Next Door". There is some interesting stuff about who becomes a millionaire and how they un-intentionally train their kids to become spenders, entitled and poor money-handlers instead of becoming hard works, smart savers and millionaires, too.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

I think earlier someone hit it on the head; once kids get into a group excluding anyone to challenge their perspective it's a collective intelligence of ignorance. Ignorantly un-aware in the cost of their apathy.

Maybe their future will not be so bright as they previously intended and they fall victim to non-creative; non-productive and boring life. Doesn't mean they can't bounce back and can't see a brighter future; many I think are breaking the mold as the military wakes them up to the reality that life will not be handed to you on a silver plater. They find out quickly that Mommy and Daddy has taught them to be lazy and unproductive.

But; I think they have always been in society regardless of baby boomers or not. Some people just never get it.

kv