Weekly Tutorial Suggestion

Mazaag

Joined Oct 23, 2004
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if it is possible to have a weekly tutorial posted on various subjects and topics. The topics shouldn't be extremely basic ( ie: resistors , series parallel circuits ), but tackle more of the complex circuits/techniques ( ie: 555 timer, PWM , A/D converters , amplifiers etc ) STARTING from the very basics. The tutorials should identify the use of every component within the circuit, refering briefly to its basics if necessary. Members of the forum are free to ask questions based on that specific circuit/technique.

I believe that having a weekly tutorial be a great way to go through many of the important circuits/techniques, whether it be to refresh our memories, or to learn new concepts.

Thanks guys

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by Mazaag@Mar 6 2006, 06:12 PM
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if it is possible to have a weekly tutorial posted on various subjects and topics. The topics shouldn't be extremely basic ( ie: resistors , series parallel circuits ), but tackle more of the complex circuits/techniques ( ie: 555 timer, PWM , A/D converters , amplifiers etc ) STARTING from the very basics. The tutorials should identify the use of every component within the circuit, refering briefly to its basics if necessary. Members of the forum are free to ask questions based on that specific circuit/technique.

I believe that having a weekly tutorial be a great way to go through many of the important circuits/techniques, whether it be to refresh our memories, or to learn new concepts.
Thanks guys
[post=14721]Quoted post[/post]​
I don't know whether you know it, but there is an excellent tutorial series on this site. Just click on 'All about Circuits' in the second line at the top of this page or go to http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

Or had you something more specific in mind?

Mazaag

Joined Oct 23, 2004
Originally posted by pebe@Mar 6 2006, 02:19 PM
I don't know whether you know it, but there is an excellent tutorial series on this site. Just click on 'All about Circuits' in the second line at the top of this page or go to http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

Or had you something more specific in mind?
[post=14725]Quoted post[/post]​
I am aware of the Allaboutcircuits ebook, but what I was suggestion was more of a indepth tutorial on the forum , where people can ask questions related to the topic being discussed.

The ebook is a really good resource, however, I believe that an interactive tutorial on commonly used circuits/techniques would be a much more intesting way to learn and to clarify and answer any questions the readers may have.

Thanks Guys

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by Mazaag@Mar 6 2006, 08:59 PM
I am aware of the Allaboutcircuits ebook, but what I was suggestion was more of a indepth tutorial on the forum , where people can ask questions related to the topic being discussed.

The ebook is a really good resource, however, I believe that an interactive tutorial on commonly used circuits/techniques would be a much more intesting way to learn and to clarify and answer any questions the readers may have.

Thanks Guys
[post=14728]Quoted post[/post]​
It’s a good idea but it would be difficult to decide on the scope of the subject. At one end of the scale, there are many excellent tutorials give a good basic understanding of the features of devices or techniques. At the other end of the scale are publications like ‘Op Amps for Everyone’ by Texas Instruments that runs to 464 pdf pages.

Many people would benefit from the hands-on experience of others, and it’s a question of how best to share those experiences. One way is a more advanced tutorial – but to what level? And would it be read? If it is interactive, with inputs from many sources covering different aspects of the tutorial, someone will have to edit it periodically so that it makes for easy reading.

The other way is by the question and answer method already used in this and other forums. As things stand someone will give a reply to a questioner. Someone else picks up the thread and adds a little more meat to the answer and this is an ongoing process that leads to the questioner getting (hopefully) a satisfactory answer.

It would be nice if some of the other members could add their views as to what they would like to see.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by pebe@Mar 7 2006, 09:02 AM
It would be nice if some of the other members could add their views as to what they would like to see.
[post=14748]Quoted post[/post]​
For the last week or so damochi and I have been conducting a back and forth on programming the A/D converter and the PWM Module in a PIC16F873. It has achieved "hot topic status" and appently has a very high number of views. It seems curious that nobdy else has jumped in.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually, if you follow the forums, we have several tutorials a day. We answer questions, what is a tutor if not that? You want to cover something specific, start a thread. If you don't believe me do a search, you'll find lots of in depth sessions taylored to specific individuals. One on one is always best.

I've been writing articles, some to be added to the book, some not. Check my blog here out.

Bill's Index

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
speaking for myself i'd like to see an area just for new to electronics.

in my case i'm trying to learn this and have none to ask the dumb/ simple questions. there are some really, really, smart people on this forum! but they have been doing it so long that they have forgot what its like not to know the stuff!

i don't mean Homework but practical stuff. i can read and reread the books and theory, but some times it takes that one little key to make it click! when you ask a question most people answering assume that every one is at just a slightly lower level of their knowledge and give up answering when we don't get it that fast. just makes the questioner feel that much stupider.

just my $.02 cary

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This is quite an old thread; however, its re-birth got me to thinking about the subject.

Maybe a "Problem of the Week" could be posted in the Homework section. So as not to spoil the challenge by postings before anyone who wanted to try had done so, answers could be presented as multiple choice, and results collected as a poll (anonymous). Then at the end of the week, the fully worked problem would be shown. To keep with the theme of this thread, the problems could be keyed to sections of the book.

That would be a lot of work for someone.

John