WD-40.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I have seen several post on different threads about WD-40, what it is good for and not good for.

In the early 70's, I learned to carry a small can of it in my tackle box.

No matter what you are using for bait, if there are not biting........spay a LITTLE..... WD-40 on lure or bait.

I kept this secret for many years. It has never failed.

Good survival tip.

For many years my friends couldn't figure how I always caught fish.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I have seen several post on different threads about WD-40, what it is good for and not good for.

In the early 70's, I learned to carry a small can of it in my tackle box.

No matter what you are using for bait, if there are not biting........spay a LITTLE..... WD-40 on lure or bait.

I kept this secret for many years. It has never failed.

Good survival tip.

For many years my friends couldn't figure how I always caught fish.
I love fishing... definitely gonna try your trick... see how it goes.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I only fish with barbless hooks, because they do far less damage to the fish I release. So something that makes the hook more slippery doesn't work for me.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I fish with baitless hooks.
Spray some WD-40 on 'em. In the last 20 years, I've only fished on private lakes. I probably relase 10 undersize fish for every one I keep, on average. Hooks do so much damage to the small fish that I decided to switch over to barbless to help the fish to recover after being released. This has made it much more difficult to land fish, so I've considered just filing down the barbs on regular hooks to give me a sporting chance and minimize damage to the fish. Haven't actually tried it yet.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I buy my fish at the store in a cardboard box. Solves a lot of time, prep and cost issues all at once. ;)

The WD-40 on fishing lures trick is pretty old. Even I knew about it 20+ years ago and I never fished. :rolleyes:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Spray some WD-40 on 'em. In the last 20 years, I've only fished on private lakes. I probably relase 10 undersize fish for every one I keep, on average. Hooks do so much damage to the small fish that I decided to switch over to barbless to help the fish to recover after being released. This has made it much more difficult to land fish, so I've considered just filing down the barbs on regular hooks to give me a sporting chance and minimize damage to the fish. Haven't actually tried it yet.
I know you think I was kidding, as I usually am. But, in this case, I like the "act" of fishing...but there is nothing I like about actually catching fish (including eating them). I've got a lake in my backyard in which there are some nice peacock bass. I used to catch and release them. Now, I just get a six pack and toss an unbaited line in the water simply for the relaxation of it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
When i was a kid i actually did occasionally fish with an unbaited hook, for the sport of it. I would toss little pebbles in to get the attention of the little perch, and when they came around, drop a line in with nothing but a large shiny hook and a small split shot weight. Tweak it up and down to make them curious and gather round. They won't approach it because it isn't food, but they are curious. Wait for one to get between you and the hook, then violently yank the barbed hook in the general direction of your face, hoping to snag the poor bastard in the side as it comes out. Those little buggers are fast! I was amazed that they could evade the hook of death heading toward them at the speed of a bullwhip 99 times out of 100. But 100 tries only takes about 2 hours, and eventually you'll snag one, and then you have a piece of bait for the larger fish. All you need is patience and time to kill, but that's what fishing is all about, right?

P.s. if you try this, a tip: a treble hook triples your chances. But a treble hook big enough to pike through a perch costs more than a can of worms, so you really have to be dedicated to sport of baitless miniature perch back-snagging.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
When i was a kid i actually did occasionally fish with an unbaited hook, for the sport of it. I would toss little pebbles in to get the attention of the little perch, and when they came around, drop a line in with nothing but a large shiny hook and a small split shot weight. Tweak it up and down to make them curious and gather round. They won't approach it because it isn't food, but they are curious. Wait for one to get between you and the hook, then violently yank the barbed hook in the general direction of your face, hoping to snag the poor bastard in the side as it comes out. Those little buggers are fast! I was amazed that they could evade the hook of death heading toward them at the speed of a bullwhip 99 times out of 100. But 100 tries only takes about 2 hours, and eventually you'll snag one, and then you have a piece of bait for the larger fish. All you need is patience and time to kill, but that's what fishing is all about, right?

P.s. if you try this, a tip: a treble hook triples your chances. But a treble hook big enough to pike through a perch costs more than a can of worms, so you really have to be dedicated to sport of baitless miniature perch back-snagging.
Yup. When I was a kid my grandpa would take us out on the pier daily for some "shad" fishing.

Basically, you cast a treble hook into the school of shad which would run up and down the northeast coast of Florida. After a couple of yanks, you'd snag a shad, and then cast that. Great way to catch blue and whiting.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Where I live we have so many natural wilderness lakes teeming with fish they literally jump in the boat, no need for Fishing equipment! ;)
Max.