Watch 60 Minutes About Freediving

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
5,438
If you want to risk brain damage by practicing holding your breath for 5+ minutes.

Of course if someone was brain damaged they might think that holding onto a lead weight, plummeting to the bottom of the ocean with no scuba equipment is a good hobby. ;)
 

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
816
Documentary about a famous surfer that died doing that. If you google it you'll see, they have a big championship in his name each year, died young too.
 

Thread Starter

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
1,686
We have an unlikely member who has given me Instructions on how to free dive

better,this has been going on for over a year. He is welcome to come forward with

his back ground. His instructions takes the rough off the edges,helps to make sense

of better training.
 

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
5,934
We have an unlikely member who has given me Instructions on how to free dive

better,this has been going on for over a year. He is welcome to come forward with

his back ground. His instructions takes the rough off the edges,helps to make sense

of better training.
Do yo go Scuba diving Lossy. I am a CMAS two star diver my self
 

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
5,438
The guys time was a little over a minute,watch it again.
A quick google just showed the world record now stands at >22 minutes without breathing! :eek:

I thought they were nuts seeing it some years back on a TV documentary and they were doing >5 minutes.
 

Thread Starter

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
1,686
@ The Rb , we have to slow down,the guy on 60 minutes failed because of the strict

requirements. Some would say doing things out of order shouldn't fail a champ,it

happens on a regular basis. You must wiggle your little finger for the under water

judge at any time. You must complete your dive by saying( I'm ok) you should see

the medical form to compete,it has to be signed by a doctor.
 

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
816
Oh I know, I just think its relavent to the thread. If you know what your doing and use safety precautions then death should be rare. I know many times I've watched it they have scuba divers every 20 feet or so. I guess he was just messing around with his friends. I'm not against free diving at all. I think its amazing. But it can become very dangerous very quick without knowing. Much like cave diving. I beleive many free diver even cary the "Spare Air" strapped to their leg during practice. But I think that surfer is the most famous person to have died doing it. Not sure.I just remember seeing a preveiw for an upcomeing movie or doc. about this kids life so it reminded me of it. Thought I'd let everyone know who this guy was.
 

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
5,438
That's not the same thing. Deep divers are under 3 minutes or less.
Thanks for that! :) THe documentary I watched was definitely on deep diving, and they were talking about 5 minutes (either people doing it or very close to that mark).

I thought 22 minutes was a big leap! :eek:
 
Top