Wall-outlet plug to PCB connector recommendations

Pressure Plate

Joined Dec 8, 2020
Hello all,

Does anybody have a good part number for an outlet-to-PCB type connector?

I'm working on a project that essentially incorporates an MCU, RTC, relay and some other basic peripherals to make my Christmas lights turn on during a software-defined schedule. I've got that aspect all figured out and tested, but if some of you older players have a recommended plug that's an easy and safe solution for wall-to-board power, I'm all ears.

Thanks for any and all help!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

If you're using an adapter, you don't need to worry much about safety.

I use this connector:
1640393234485.png
Be aware that these come in a number of sizes. 2.1mm (x 5.5mm) is common in my region, but is easily confused with 2.5 x 5.5mm.

For panel mount, I use something like this (only 2.1 x 5.5mm):
1640393348971.png

Pressure Plate

Joined Dec 8, 2020
Welcome to AAC!

If you're using an adapter, you don't need to worry much about safety.
Thank you kindly.
Those are nice, but I was thinking more like a direct 3-terminal plug into 120V mains outlet.
Sorry if I wasn't precise. I appreciate the help though!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Typically, I use a surplus 3 prong w/ ground cord set, chassis socket for same, and a chassis mount fuse holder. From there use appropriately sized wire based on fusing from chassis power and fuse sockets to terminal block on PCB. Hard to specify part numbers without knowing your exact specifications.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There is a big benefit of using a plug connector in such an application, and while the style shown in post#6 is good, tree lights do not need a safety ground connection. Once again, I suggest consulting the DigiKey catalog, because they have the accurate descriptions of products, not that they are the cheapest. There are also 2-wire versions that are common, so if you select one of those inlet connectors be sure to also get the matching power cord.

Pressure Plate

Joined Dec 8, 2020
You do realize that you SHOULD drive a suitably rated relay board (solid state or otherwise) with the MCU? And maintain the required physical separation from the MCU and anything at mains potential.
Haha, yes I am very, VERY aware of the Potential problem.

For the record, my MCU is going to be powered by a little inherently-isolated AC-DC converter. The MCU will drive a transistor (low side sink) that energizes the relay contacts. The lights will have their circuit completed by the contacts closing. I’m good on the circuit/safety design, but not as experienced with the physical hardware acquisition. Thank you for your guidance regardless.