voltage~current regulator 48V 2A

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
So where is all the noise on your simulation coming from.
They are not noises but ripples voltage on the capacitor.

You can tell even with a smoothing capacitor as large as 2,200uF, there is still several volts of ripples riding on an average of 49V.

Here is one with finer timing scale.

Anyhow, this is getting off topic. If you're wanting to continue the discussion we can start a new thread.
No, thanks. I'm done. Enough said already.

Attachments

Last edited:

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
The regulator IC I recommend will do the trick, lets not get off topic.

If there are questions about the SMPS implementation of the IC, I recommend a new thread as this one is pretty chunky.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A power transformer with a 2 ohms internal resistance has very poor voltage regulation.
A Hammond 28V/4A transformer has a 1V drop when loaded to 4A. Then its internal resistance is only 1V/4A= 0.25 ohms.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

With 60 VA you will never get 48 Volts at 2 Ampere.
You will need at least a 120 VA transformer ( 48 V X 2 A = 96 Watts + some losses ).

Greetings,
Bertus

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
Once you sort out the transformer to have at least 96VA, go back to my post and read the datasheet of the IC i posted. It will probably have a recommended circuit to do 48V at > 2A.

I recommend you center tap the secondary to neutral or earth leaving the rest the same as in your original conception so nothing approaches dangerous levels relative to earth.

podgymax

Joined Oct 19, 2008
If I design to use TL494 to regulate the circuit, how should I change to use this chip? And do I need to change the transistor to mosfet as the current can be 2A?