voltage controlled AC current source

mubeenhaadi0346

Joined Feb 15, 2017
Hi,

I need to design a current source that will feed an induction coil to magnetize a soft magnetic core.The current source needs to be controlled by a micro-controller. the current source must be able to deliver a max current of 1 Amp (sinocide) with a voltage of 5 V peak to peak.

I get the idea I need a power amplifier or a howland current pump, but I am not sure, where to start or how to design it.

any insights will be very much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Mubeen Haadi.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You are sure you want AC? The Magnet Chargers I have worked with in the past generally consisted of a bank of parallel capacitors which were rapidly discharged through a Triac into a coil. The magnet material was placed in the coil. Magnets which were over charged (high Gauss) were demagnetized or "knocked down" by passing AC through the coil. I am assuming you want to charge magnets which may be way off base here.

Ron

mubeenhaadi0346

Joined Feb 15, 2017
Hi, thank you for showing concern. Basically I want to create the hysteresis graph for a toroidal core. so I have to control the excitation current to the primary coil. e.g I want to excite the primary with 1 Amp, .5 Amp and than with 2 Amp, also it would be nice to have a control over the frequency of the output, 50 - 150 Hz. The following figure should give you a brief idea. now I want to use OPA547 but I am not sure how to accomplish this.

I saw a few application circuits, but I am not sure where to start.

upload_2017-2-17_0-14-14.png