Video Hardware Failure/Blue Screens While On Facebook

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I may have asked this question before, however here it is again.

It seems that certain Facebook pages with videos always cause a problem with my video hardware and viewing these pages can also cause a blue screen. I notice that videos on Facebook pages start playing automatically and this seems to wreaks havoc with the video hardware.

I have also checked my Stability History and every time I got a video failure/blue screen (about two events per year), it's always been on Facebook, but YouTube runs OK.

I did a search and Waallaahhh - Facebook pages are particularly notorious for causing blue screens.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
@Glenn Holland

While I dont know what you use your computer for I can however suggest one potential problem that I have experienced.
One of my old graphics cards was damaged but the only time when it would cause a system crash was when there was any video processing that went beyond what a basic system would use. For example, displaying the desktop does not utilise the entire GPU but if you do something such as play a game or watch an online video hardware acceleration can kick in. If that section of your GPU is damaged then the system crashes when it attempts to use it.

It may be that only facebook is using a hardware feature as it is so full of content. Personally I no longer have facebook and my life is only getting better!

Like I said, its more likely to be something else (browser issue), but this is what happened to me! I actually found it out when attempting to mine bitcoin and the program would use the GPU. It was at that point that it would mess up and...beeeeep....die. I then tested the graphics card with a game and the same happened.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
How to do I turn off the "hardware acceleration" feature? I've got Windows 7 and I use IE-11.
If I turn it off, will other it disable viewing other sites like Youtube?

Also, I agree that Facebook is more of a nuisance than an asset and I only visit that site once per day. I also have task manager open and handy to [X] the site in case of trouble.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
*Cough* Linux...Better *Cough*
Sorry had something in my throat.

Turning it off will affect every website as it is disabling the feature in internet explorer