Vibratory motors

stryped

Joined Sep 17, 2023
Does anyone know where a person could get a very powerful vibration motor for a project? It needs to be capable of fitting inside of a 1 inch tube. It can be ac or dc but needs to have powerful vibrations. (Would that mean a high amplitude?)
Any help is appreciated!

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Powerful is not a useful dscription.

To characterize a vibration you would need to specify:

frequency
waveform
amplitude
effective mass

I am not sure about the fourth one, but it certainly makes a difference whether 1g mass is being vibrated or a 1kg mass.

stryped

Joined Sep 17, 2023
How could one make the motor a separate unit, and connect it to the vibrating tube 2 or 3 feet away? I am envisioning a copper tube with a bearing on each end. A shaft through the bearings with an offset weight on the end of the shaft. What could you use to connect the tube to the motor two to 3 feet away?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
One of these? It's designed for vibrating concrete into molds and forms.

Whether for concrete or personal use - that's up to you. But it looks to be about the size you're looking for. IF Ø35 means 35mm diameter then that's 1 3/8" diameter.
vibrating tube 2 or 3 feet away?
It appears to be at least 3 feet.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It would help to get the most useful suggestions by describing the application. Industrial bi vibrators are available from "small" to about 1 HP, which would be used to vibrate a large chute in a cement plant. Ones about an inch diameter and a few inches long are used in vibrating recliner chairs, and vibrating massage pads.
It is simple to make one, just have a suitably sized motor and an appropriately sized block of steel, or brass. Bore a hole to fit the motor shaft that does not pass through the center of mass of the block. Spin it with the motor and the assembly vibrates.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Does anyone know where a person could get a very powerful vibration motor for a project? It needs to be capable of fitting inside of a 1 inch tube. It can be ac or dc but needs to have powerful vibrations. (Would that mean a high amplitude?)
Any help is appreciated!
One application that uses a 60hz (mains) frequency vibrator is a 'Tap-buster', this consists of a simple AC solenoid with no means of suppression, e.g. shading ring etc, of the 60Hz effect.
This causes a high 60hz vibration effect at fairly high current.
!" tube does not allow a lot of design room! ?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Have you given any thought to not using a motor driven vibratory shaker and making a dynamic type design shaker? Think old common speaker. Tear out the paper. You are left with a voice coil wrapped around a magnet. Measured in G's how much force do you actually need?

The working principle of an electrodynamic vibration shaker is similar to that of a loudspeaker. That is, A current-carrying conductor moves under the action of electromagnetic force in a constant magnetic field. The armature of the electromagnetic shaker is located in a space with a high magnetic induction intensity.
Again, think old spraker. :) A Google of dynamic shaker should get you some results.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
For industrial applications the devices are more likely called "shakers" How much force do you need? what is to be shaken??
But inside a 1 inch tube is a small shaker by industrial equipment sizes.
What frequency and what amount of force are required??
You can easily assemble one yourself with basic hand tools.

What voltage do you have available to power this device??

stryped

Joined Sep 17, 2023
Ok. I was trying to be discrete but my wife has a condition that makes it difficult to “o”.
It takes something very powerful to work. Tried/ bought many different types but none were powerful enough. I finally hacked into a magic wand type and added extra eccentric weights and it was successful most of the time,However extremely loud. I wanted to try to build something myself from scratch that would be plenty powerful enough and quieter.
This would be external use only.
This is embarrassing, please be nice……

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, Hitacihi makes a few models intended for that application, although not that shape. Theyuse a larger diameter motor and are quite powerful. Not sure where you would purchase one, though.
At least some of the models use a sleeve bearing that is replaceable with bearings available from a bearing distributor. Five years ago that was "Detroit Ball Bearing", I have not dealt with them since.
So the heavy-duty industrial versions would not be suitable, given the much larger motors.
Building a device would require locating a motor of the correct size and then being able to locate a drill bit the same diameter as the motor shaft. For the rotating mass , a lead fishing sinker could work quite well. The only challenge will be the housing, which for that application will require a smoother external surface.. A probable source would be a medical supply distributor as similar items are used for massage therapy. Repairing those was where I got my experience. Often the drive electrical portion has not been very good quality.

stryped

Joined Sep 17, 2023
OK, Hitacihi makes a few models intended for that application, although not that shape. Theyuse a larger diameter motor and are quite powerful. Not sure where you would purchase one, though.
At least some of the models use a sleeve bearing that is replaceable with bearings available from a bearing distributor. Five years ago that was "Detroit Ball Bearing", I have not dealt with them since.
So the heavy-duty industrial versions would not be suitable, given the much larger motors.
Building a device would require locating a motor of the correct size and then being able to locate a drill bit the same diameter as the motor shaft. For the rotating mass , a lead fishing sinker could work quite well. The only challenge will be the housing, which for that application will require a smoother external surface.. A probable source would be a medical supply distributor as similar items are used for massage therapy. Repairing those was where I got my experience. Often the drive electrical portion has not been very good quality.
The large motor could work if it was separate from the vibrating part, like a concrete vibrator couldn’t it?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That arrangement will require a flexible shaft assembly that will be quite costly. Also bearings and a fair amount of machine shop effort. If you have access to a metal lathe and the skill set to use it then you are all set.
For a suitable motor check the hobby shops that sell RC car parts and motors.

Also "check McMaster Carr", which is an honest seller of a huge variety of mechanical items. THEY MIGHT EVEN SELL AN INDUSTRIAL SHAKER THE SIZE YOU WANT.. I believe that they sell on line currently.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
This is embarrassing, please be nice……
Thank you for being honest, and yes, we will respect your privacy.
This would be external use only.
If external only then it's difficult to understand why it needs to be about an inch in diameter.

We have a percussion massage gun for body massages, not intended expressly for sexual pleasure. It's a bit much as far as goes at imparting enjoyable energy into tissue. The older vibratory massagers work better in that they deliver typically 60 cycle impulses of varying force. Others employ a motor to drive the striker tip. Those are expressly external devices. Motor driven types can be adjusted for frequency. The faster the motor the more sensation is transmitted.

It takes a braver man than I to discuss on an open forum such as this. However, the AAC members have a decent record of respect for others. I believe you won't be abused verbally. Can't speak for everyone, but at least you have my respect.