VFD start up help - connecting to multifunction input terminals.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Changing F05.01 to 0 is equal to no function for that input.
I thought you would have set it for 2 for reverse run.
Normally the motor should stop according to the set decel rate, if you make it too short, it is possible to get a over current fault.
Max.

fiftyv8

Joined Jan 29, 2018
Max, I've been thru and double checked numerous F settings and have not discovered any more inconsistencies or errors that a layman would recognise.
To summarise what I have right now, is a VFD that allows me to use all my remote switches as I had hoped and it allows me to run from 0hz to 90hz without issue that I can tell, but between 90 to 120hz it stalls and jogs as I had previously mentioned and still once my foot is removed from the pedal it will go from JOG to a split second RUN
and then STOP.

I have no experience with this JOG scenario, so I am assuming that it is a jog, for all intents and purposes to the untrained eye, it looks to be impeded or restricted to the point where it will not run and it kind of inches off again and then gets that impeded effect happening over and over in quite a slow action.
I would be inclined to describe it more as a very slow inching and then a slight speed up and then inching again...

Please if anybody out there has any long shot ideas, this would be the time to offer them up.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I would be inclined to describe it more as a very slow inching and then a slight speed up and then inching again...
That sounds like the VFD isn't the correct one for the motor size. Weren't you also a member at MetalMeet at one time? I seem to remember seeing your name there.

fiftyv8

Joined Jan 29, 2018
I am member of the All Metal Forum, but don't ever recall if I have been with Metal Meet.
My motor is a 1/2hp and the VFD I have is for upto 1hp if my memory serves me correctly.

I understand your comment and it is a reasonable one, however prior to seeking help on this Forum, I had basic upper and lower speed limits running absolutely correctly and I therefore know that this motor will cope fine with what we have.
I am guessing there is just one little glitch somewhere in the selection of F codes that is not right and is needing help.

Before adding on my remote controls, my unit would run from a 20hz speed base right upto 120hz just as it was programmed with a smooth speed increase according to me adjusting the panel Pot.

fiftyv8

Joined Jan 29, 2018
Yes, I contacted in my early days of trying to understand my VFD unit for suitable "S" number connection choice and was referred to the manual pages with no emotion or sense of wanting to be helpful or even ask a follow up question of me.
The person on their Help Line is a woman I believe named Daisy, who also seems to take forever to reply.
It took me several requests for help just to get my question acknowledged.

My impression was that once they had determined that I was not a potential big order customer, I was not worth the effort, yet they started sending me very regular advertising etc in a robotic manner.

If nobody has any ideas, I will just run thru more of the F code numbers and compare them to what should be the default setting particularly in areas, that I am not using, just to satisfy myself that all is baseline correct.

I appreciate your time and efforts Max and can not be thankful enough, but can understand it must be difficult doing this stuff remotely as we have been doing.

I am way closer to having what I sought that several days ago, where at one point I felt we had gone backwards and I was feeling a little demoralised to say the least, but I have new inspiration now knowing that I am as close as I have ever been in getting this darn thing wrapped up.

I must say I am at the point where I am about willing to send another HELP enquiry to the Manufacturer, but do not hold high hopes with these guys at all.
As I previously stated, I would find it difficult to recommend them on the basis of their technical support and humanity.

fiftyv8

Joined Jan 29, 2018
Just a quick update for those who maybe interested.
I decided to contact the manufacturer again in China and suggested to them that something was wrong if I could get better interest and help from fellow forum members than from their company.

For now at least they have asked pertinent questions regarding my F code settings and have also request that I make and send them a video recording of the problems with the unit.

For the first in about 8 months they have finally taken an interest.
I don't want to get too hopeful just yet, but it does seem promising.

I'll keep you posted as to +ve or -ve progress from here.
I am told they will review my video on Monday and forward it to the tech people...

fiftyv8

Joined Jan 29, 2018
Well I have struck a big problem with the manufacturer.
They asked for a video, but we are unable to use any media sources to view it and/or are unable to open what I have sent them.

They are a very restricted society when it comes to media and this is appearing as a problem to us right now.

So no Whats App, YouTube or Facebook and a simple email for now is not getting thru once it has such an attachment.

Scary, we just don't appreciate what freedom and liberty we have...

fiftyv8

Joined Jan 29, 2018
Well folks, I am pleased to advise you all, that from my perspective the machine is now running according to my expectations.

I know that I condemned the manufacturer very early in this thread and this is a perfect example of how one employee can discredit a whole organisation or product just thru lack of customer response/service.

There are still issues trying to deal with China based companies, however in this case after my last attempt to seek technical support, I have been rewarded/lucky by striking an employee (young lady) who has been more than willing (even with a low degree of tech knowledge) to ensure my issues were addressed and that she could obtain a response from experts to pass back down the line to me for program checking, similar to what we have been doing here on the forum.

Between all the checking and re-checking and adjusting of parameter settings, the machine has decided it will work at the upper speed limit and not bind any more.
To me this is great news and a great result.
Maybe starting to sound like Donald Trump with my over use of the word GREAT.

How it was achieved is another story and the simple answer is we are not quite sure, but it does seem to revolve around one issue that I had raised during checking which related to the motor parameter settings which I had re-visited several times.

Initially, I was having trouble with the machine holding in the amps value (1.05 amps) I would enter it and then discover later that it had changed to a value of 2.50 amps.

This was frustrating to say the least.
Between re-checking and following what both forum advice and what the manufacturer was saying, when it was noted that code F02.37 would not respond and then code F 02.01 was adjusted from setting 0.3hp to 0.4hp as the true value was 0.37hp and then a revisit to code F02.05 which continued to show 2.50 amps, but was again reset to 1.05 amps and then the machine would ran correctly.

The result this time was NO binding.
After returning to code F02.05 to see if the amp value of 1.05 amps had held, which it did, then it was determined that this amp setting had been the problem all along, yet it was obvious that F02.05 may have been the prompt for this problem to occur.

I'm just a layman and it is all rocket science to me, but I am very thankful to everybody who has taken an interest in my problem and I hope that by documenting each step and feedback that it may assist somebody else in the future who is suffering the VFD blues...

Great work folks and thankyou once more.
I am very happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fiftyv8

Joined Jan 29, 2018
Going by the people in China, they find it some what frustrating as well.
So many ways to send information but the ones we use and take fro granted without a 2nd thought, all seem to be inaccessible to them.

fiftyv8

Joined Jan 29, 2018
Setting made to temporarily get the VFD to function did not hold and I am back to where I started.
At least I get the feeling that I have had the manufacturers attention, but still nothing positive results wise

Well, the latest update is as follows;
I contacted the manufacturer and suggested it could be an opportunity to send me a replacement unit as what I have maybe faulty.

They did not agree, but have continued to offer programming adjustments that have been of no consequence.

There is definitely a problem with something whether it be my motor or there unit, but I do fail to see how my motor at one time did run at the setting programmed prior to going remote.

The part of the equation is the language barrier, whereby they are using a young non technical girl to translate my comments and feedback to the Tech.

Since going remote the issues came into play.
I have tried as they suggested to go back to the panel control, but for now the issue remains with binding to a full stall.

I have taken the initiative for now and have advised them, that I plan to rest the upper speed limit from 120hz down to 87hz.
The motor starts to bind at about 90hz and grinds to a halt by 120hz.
Sadly, this limits my top speed which was factored into my original mechanical gearing, so I have elected to try and increase the size of one of my small sprockets to try and regain some top speed that way.

I guess we have parted friends as they are just employees in this massive corporation and have limited capacity to deal.
The girl did say that should she or the Tech ever determine a similar fault or a solution that may also be a possible help to me that they would email me to advise me of any program ideas, I guess like a bulletin.

So for now at least I have a solution that should work for me but no thanks to my manufacturer.
Should the opportunity arise I may consider doing a swap later to a more widely used and reliable brand, but for now I will just run with my plan B solution...

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Well if you decide to change brands , I have had good luck with the Huanyang clones they sell on Ebay. I have three of them on some machines in my shop.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
With a 4 pole motor, normally there is no problem going to 120Hz.
Can you post a pic of the motor plate?
Again the only problem with Huanyang or clones is the lack of support when you have a problem, there is alot of help out there on sites such as CNCzone, but I have contacted the factory direct and the help was very much less than stellar.
It helps greatly if buying in N.A. to have N.A. based support.
Max.

fiftyv8

Joined Jan 29, 2018
With a 4 pole motor, normally there is no problem going to 120Hz.
Can you post a pic of the motor plate?
Again the only problem with Huanyang or clones is the lack of support when you have a problem, there is alot of help out there on sites such as CNCzone, but I have contacted the factory direct and the help was very much less than stellar.
It helps greatly if buying in N.A. to have N.A. based support.
Max.

Here are a few pic's of the motor .

Attachments

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
This is the reason most of these bead rollers are powered with a DC motor. Not an AC. Much easier to control. With the proper gearing it doesn't take much HP, most are well under 1/4 HP.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Setting made to temporarily get the VFD to function did not hold and I am back to where I started.
I am just wondering what happened in the mean time? IOW, why would it work for a while?
Did you change anything?
I am assuming the motor runs OK on 3ph directly connected.?
Max.

fiftyv8

Joined Jan 29, 2018
Hi Max, I hope I am not being premature in say that I have good news.
I sat down and went thru another parameter check which included considering the numbers that were offered up yesterday by another forum member.
It would seem by changing;
F00.00 = 2 and by setting
F00.03 & F00.04 = 120hz and setting
F00.07 = 0
My motor will run all the way upto 120hz without a problem.
Similarly, it sits on 20hz at lower limit until foot pedal is released.

I can not believe how simple that was to solve in the end.
I guess we knew it was probably just some annoying glitch.
You just don't know how happy I am to be done with that problem and I am glad I did not spit the dummy (baby pacifier) and go out and get extra sprockets etc.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Similarly, it sits on 20hz at lower limit until foot pedal is released.
You just don't want to run it long at that low of a frequency. It will make the motor overheat, due to the fan not moving enough air. If that is the speed you need, you should change the gearing so the roller runs that fast at a nearer to mains frequency. VFD's are not meant to overcome gearing deficiencies, but to fine tune them.