very urgent school question

kortsluiting

Joined Sep 1, 2010
Hey,

I got a question:

I need to make a boolean system,
and as I am new to boolean, and as I havent got any theory on how to do this, I really want to learn how.

The question is :

Make a system, where you have 3 input signals(on/off buttons), and 8 output signals (lamps)
Make sure, that you can control al 8 lights with the 3 imput signals (on.off switches)

So I really have no idea on how to do this.

It is even worse, they never taught me how to make truth-tables, or how to make a system out of a truth table.

I'm Desperate, as I need to have this system at monday.

If anyone requires more information, to help it solve, please ask.

Thanks.

Edit: BTW, I can use :" And,nand,or,nor,xor and xnor

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
You are looking for a 3-8 line decoder/demultiplexer. Have a look at the datasheet for the 74LS138 chip and you might find some help there.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Google 3 bit to 8 line decoder or 3-to-8 decoder and you will have the gist of the problem. There are integrated circuits that will do this for you - or at least provide the heart of the necessary logic.

kortsluiting

Joined Sep 1, 2010
Per and,nand,or,nor,xor,xnor port, I only have 2 input and 1 output option, for wiring, as you can see in the imageshack link i posted(scroll up)

for example: 2 wires go to an Xor port. and only 1 can come out.

But in the schedule you linked me, I have to add 3 inputs, instead of 2, so I guess that schedule is undoable for me, thanks though.

AMIT_GOHEL

Joined Jul 13, 2010
Per and,nand,or,nor,xor,xnor port, I only have 2 input and 1 output option, for wiring, as you can see in the imageshack link i posted(scroll up)

for example: 2 wires go to an Xor port. and only 1 can come out.

But in the schedule you linked me, I have to add 3 inputs, instead of 2, so I guess that schedule is undoable for me, thanks though.
Hello kortsluiting,
welcome to forum...

circuit i've atteched may be your reqired once..

regards...

Attachments

kortsluiting

Joined Sep 1, 2010
Yeah thats what i was thinking about aswell, but as you see, 3 wires go into the AND, and with labview you can only get 2 wires inside.

When i try to put 3 inside them, i get the following error:

A wire can be connected to only one data source, such as a control's terminal or a function output. This wire is connected to more than one source. If one source is a control, you may wish to change it to an indicator. Otherwise, you must disconnect all but one of the sources.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
If Labview doesn't support 3-input AND gates, you can bypass this constraint by creating a 3-input AND with 2 2-input AND gates. Simply AND the two first inputs and AND the third with the result.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
In Labview you can make 44 input and if you want to do so. But you have to use a function named "Compound Arithmetic" this can be scaled as you want, both in function and width

AMIT_GOHEL

Joined Jul 13, 2010
Yeah thats what i was thinking about aswell, but as you see, 3 wires go into the AND, and with labview you can only get 2 wires inside.

When i try to put 3 inside them, i get the following error:

A wire can be connected to only one data source, such as a control's terminal or a function output. This wire is connected to more than one source. If one source is a control, you may wish to change it to an indicator. Otherwise, you must disconnect all but one of the sources.
You can use 2 2-input and gate to solve your problem,first AND any two input and then AND the o/p of first AND and rest of input.

I've conclude a genral rule..
to AND,OR,XOR n-input with 2-input device you need n-1 gate...

Regards...
AMIT GOHEL