Vehicle DVR Battery Backup

johnayre1

Joined Apr 3, 2011
Hello,I have a dvr working two cameras in my vehicle.
12volts at 2amps.It works from the ignition so when vehicle is unnoccupied it is not running.
I would like if possible to operate the dvr from a seperate battery back up to save draining the vehicle battery.As it is at present when I start the car the dvr records, turn off the ignition dvr stops.
My knowledge of circuits is basic so I would like help please with a simple circuit to utelise the backup battery when main vehicle battery is at rest.
If not too hard to do would like the back up battery to be recharged when not in use.
I welcome any help and comments,John

johnayre1

Joined Apr 3, 2011
Looks like I am to recieve no replies and after the forum members were well recommended.
Still looking if any has the knowledge to help?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Its Saturday night in the USA.. You posted at 7pm Eastern time.. Most people where out by then.

It is 4:45am EST now. Most are in and ASLEEP.

Give us some time to wake up and such. Weekdays are much quicker here.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You should post the make and model of the DVR so we can try to get a typical wiring diagram.

We need to know if the DVR power is switched by the ignition, or just signaled by the ignition.

Moving the DVRs 12v line to another battery is simple enough... But being sure that battery stays charged is another story. You can use the same alternator, but that would require you to have a battery isolator/switcher installed.

or

You could pop the DVR battery out and charge it manually once a week or so (Depending on the size battery you choose for the DVR)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Looks like I am to recieve no replies and after the forum members were well recommended.
Names, names. We need to know who those villains are.

Still looking if any has the knowledge to help?
Maybe part of the problem is understanding your question. A 2A load is not very much while the engine is running. Apparently, when the engine is not running, you want to run off another battery, which will also be discharged and need to be recharged when the engine starts.

Thus, you seem to be asking for a complete battery, charger, and regulator for these cameras, but at the same time, you want to switch back to the automobile's battery once the engine is running (I think that is what you meant by "at rest.") Why? Why not simply run everything off your separate battery all the time and simply have that connected to the charging system?

John