variable delay triggered circuit with 3 sequential output

2electrified

Joined Sep 5, 2011
Not sure where to begin.

Input coming from a 12vdc rf transmitter (which I already have ), the transmitter activates a 12vdc relay and here is where I need help. Once the relay is activated, it triggers a variable delay circuit (delay between 1 to 3 secs) which triggers a relay 1 that activates trap A which throws an object, then relay 2 activates trap B which throws an object and finally relay 3 activates trap C which throws an object and then turns off until the circuit is triggered again by the transmitter. Traps A,B and C have to go off automatically in sequential order. The relays would be NO. The relays would be 12vdc. Any ideas what would work to accomplish this project? Not sure if a 555 timer would be reliable and I am not sure what component I would use to trigger the sequential part. Are there any sample projects doing anything similiar of what I must described? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
There are a ton of ways to do this, so first give us your skill set/experience base when it comes to electrical things - perf board? soldering? purchased electronic modules from China? wires and screw terminals only?

Next, a simple sketch or block diagram of what you want so we're clear about the sequence and interactions. For example, are all delays variable or only the first one?

What power is available, does the whole thing have to be weatherproof, any other special packaging requirements?

Do the outputs have to be relays, or can everything be run off a common ground system and use transistors to activate the traps?

ak

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
What delays are for traps B and C when A is triggered,

Example when A is triggered, does B get triggered by A, and B triggers C,
or what?

2electrified

Joined Sep 5, 2011
There are a ton of ways to do this, so first give us your skill set/experience base when it comes to electrical things - perf board? soldering? purchased electronic modules from China? wires and screw terminals only?

Next, a simple sketch or block diagram of what you want so we're clear about the sequence and interactions. For example, are all delays variable or only the first one?

What power is available, does the whole thing have to be weatherproof, any other special packaging requirements?

Do the outputs have to be relays, or can everything be run off a common ground system and use transistors to activate the traps?

ak
Hi Analogkid thanks for the reply. I have a electronics degree but it has been many years using a lot of these of components. Right now I am doing a lot of repairs so I solder, micro solder, I work with reflowing systems. I have worked on both perf and pcb boards. I work with both screw and wire type mounts. I order a lot from China or ebay which the buyers are from China as well. I will draw up a sketch and post it for you.

12VDC will be the input power. The wireless rf transmitters we will be using to activated this circuit uses 12vdc (A23 battery). Now if possible use the same type A23 (12vdc) battery for the delay sequence board. This will be mounted in a waterproof plastic enclosure box. This unit will sit 30 feet off ground next to the 3 clay target machines that will be throwing the traps.

There was a change this morning in regards to continuous or single cycle - they want a continuous run. Once the board is activated, it will keep cycling through each trap until someone hits the power button again. They said it will run approx. 3 minutes for each round. Board is activated, delay 2 secs, trap 1 goes off, delay 2 sec., trap 2 goes off, delay 2 sec, trap 3 goes off, then cycle back to the beginning and go through the sequence again. Like I said, this will be a continuous run until someone hits the power off button. Now for using relays vs transistors to send a signal to the relays on the clay target machine, which would be better for long cycles, less failure rate? I am open to ideas. These clay target machines run off 12vdc deep cycle batteries. Like I said earlier in my post, I will draw up a sketch and post it here for you. Now for variable or set delays, I did put a call in asking them, but right now one person said just have the delays built. Not sure if they want people opening the enclosures making adjustments. Now when you mentioned a delay in the beginning, do you mean that the delay will all 3 traps delays or just the delay in the beginning before trap 1 goes off? Thanks Lisa

2electrified

Joined Sep 5, 2011
What delays are for traps B and C when A is triggered,

Example when A is triggered, does B get triggered by A, and B triggers C,
or what?
Dodgydave, thanks for your reply as well. Please read my post I just submitted to Analogkid. I don't know what would control the triggering, this is where I am looking for help. I do know as of right now when the board is activated by a rf transmitter, there will be a delay 2 sec, then trap 1 launches, delay 2 sec, trap 2 launches, delay 2 secs, then trap 3 launches then repeats the cycle. The cycle will keep repeating itself until the board is powered off. And when the board is activated again, it will start from the beginning. Thanks Lisa

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Only a couple of questions left.
Does the timer circuit output source +12 V to a trap, or pull a wire from the trap to ground?
How much current does the relay or output transistor have to source or sink to operate a trap?
How long does the activate signal to the trap have to be on? Does a trap expect a short pulse, or can the signal to the trap be on the entire two seconds?

If the control signal can be on the entire delay time, or even just 1/2 or 1/3 the delay time, this is looking like a 4060 or 555 oscillator, a 4017 Johnson counter, and three output drivers. All logic runs on +12 V, so no separate power supply needed, just some input power filtering.

ak

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I would use a 555 timer for a 2 second astable clocking a cd4017 decade counter set to 3, the receiver triggers the 555 and resets the counter to zero, then it gets a clock after 2 seconds and puts trap A on, then trap B after 2 seconds, the trap C, this will repeat throughout until your receiver is turned off.