Variable DC to DC power supply build....

Rlbooms

Joined Jan 22, 2021
I am trying to come up with instructions on how to build a DC to DC power converter.
Supply voltage is12v DC battery and alternator.
Need to produce 5 to 9v DC 1 amp
Variable.....

Can not use ac as the unit is way off grid.
Powering a laser that can run between 5 and 9 volt 1 amp
Different voltage = different brightness

I am smart enough to build the device but not enough to design it
Can any one give me a plan?
Thank!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I recommend you buy one from an Amateur Radio Supply Company. You literally cannot design and build it cheaper than you can buy it.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Rather than build I would just buy.
AEDIKO 8pcs LM2596 DC-DC Buck Converter LM2596 Adjustable Step Down Voltage Regulator 3-40V to 1.5-35V High Efficiency Power Supply Module
Most buck converters like this use the same LM2596 chip and the linked one will deliver 2.0 amps or 3.0 amps maximum. Then if you want to get fancy there are units like this.
ZK-4KX CNC DC-DC Buck Boost Converter Module CC CV 0.5-30V 4A Voltage Regulator Electronic Components
I have seen these as inexpensive as $10 USD and they include a voltage and current meter.

I can't build either of those linked units for less cost (and grief) than I can buy them for.

Ron

Rlbooms

Joined Jan 22, 2021
Rather than build I would just buy.
AEDIKO 8pcs LM2596 DC-DC Buck Converter LM2596 Adjustable Step Down Voltage Regulator 3-40V to 1.5-35V High Efficiency Power Supply Module
Most buck converters like this use the same LM2596 chip and the linked one will deliver 2.0 amps or 3.0 amps maximum. Then if you want to get fancy there are units like this.
ZK-4KX CNC DC-DC Buck Boost Converter Module CC CV 0.5-30V 4A Voltage Regulator Electronic Components
I have seen these as inexpensive as $10 USD and they include a voltage and current meter.

I can't build either of those linked units for less cost (and grief) than I can buy them for.

Ron
Thanks for the links Ron! Perfect...

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Aside from the cost difference, switcher power supplies are tricky to create because every part is critical to the operation.
For powering the laser I suggest switching the power to the converter for best efficiency.
And it would be interesting to learn about the off-grid application of a five watt laser.

Rlbooms

Joined Jan 22, 2021
Aside from the cost difference, switcher power supplies are tricky to create because every part is critical to the operation.
For powering the laser I suggest switching the power to the converter for best efficiency.
And it would be interesting to learn about the off-grid application of a five watt laser.
Saw mill........Makes it much faster to line up your first cut and to waste as little wood as possible.

I could run a small dc to ac inverter and just plug in the power supply but it is fixed at 9v.......according to the tech at the laser supplier... I can feed 3 - 9 volt to the laser and the lower voltage results in dimmer laser. I want to run as dim as I can but still see the line as the dimmer the laser is the less dangerous the beam is to the eyes for the accidental exposure.
Laser will be switched on and off as needed.