using ps4 controller to control arduino car

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
Correction from last post, I will attach the image of the circuit the guy used.

As far as i know, he has a serial cable connect to the serial converter, which then connects to the arduino uno, and finally the usb shield. I have a good idea of how it works. My problem lies with being able to control the arduino without the use of a serial cable connection to a PC.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
He is using
Arduino Pro Mini
USB Host Shield Mini
FT232RL
I am using
Arduino mega
Usb host shield above

These are the only known differences I noticed
I meant to make this point earlier, but an Arduino is not an Arduino is not an Arduino.

The project used an Arduino Pro Mini. Very different from both an Arduino Uno and an Arduino Mega. It used the FT232RL likely because the Pro Mini only had one serial port. The Pro Mini has been retired. A clone may be available, but clones often have their own problems.

The Arduino USB Host Shield also has been retired. My comment about clones apply here as well. Since it is retired, I’ve been unsuccessful getting meaning documentation. Without documentation I cannot be sure, but it looks like maybe it doesn’t require a serial connection.

Bottom line. Without current documentation or support, I can’t provide an answer. First and foremost, what pins does the USB Host shield use?

Killerbee65

Joined May 15, 2017
I meant to make this point earlier, but an Arduino is not an Arduino is not an Arduino.

The project used an Arduino Pro Mini. Very different from both an Arduino Uno and an Arduino Mega. It used the FT232RL likely because the Pro Mini only had one serial port. The Pro Mini has been retired. A clone may be available, but clones often have their own problems.

The Arduino USB Host Shield also has been retired. My comment about clones apply here as well. Since it is retired, I’ve been unsuccessful getting meaning documentation. Without documentation I cannot be sure, but it looks like maybe it doesn’t require a serial connection.

Bottom line. Without current documentation or support, I can’t provide an answer. First and foremost, what pins does the USB Host shield use?
The usb host shield covers "reset" to " a5" pins on the left and "aref" to "0" pins on the right side. If placed on top of an uno it covers all the pins.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The usb host shield covers "reset" to " a5" pins on the left and "aref" to "0" pins on the right side. If placed on top of an uno it covers all the pins.
That is the universal design of a shield. The covered pins pass through to other shields. It has NO relation to the pins used. Documentation should specifically state what pins are used.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Used the MAX3421 for a couple of camera projects. It’s an SPI connection to the micro

while (!Serial) ..... blocks until you’ve connected.
Throw a couple of print statements into the script to see what the PS query values are coming back.

Last edited: