Using HM 10 to make a Bluetooth Buzzer

aedelstein

Joined Jun 6, 2022
Hello! I am fairly new to Arduino and trying to make a simple (although it's turning out to be not-so-simple) buzzer.

I've got the HM-10 Bluetooth module and a basic understanding of how to get it to connect to my phone with Arduino like a beacon. I'd like to somehow integrate a piezo buzzer into this situation... so when the HM module connects to my phone, a buzzer (connected to HM 10? is this possible?) buzzes.

I'm assuming I'd need to connect the HM 10 to something else in order for the buzzer to operate and I cannot directly connect HM 10 to a buzzer.

Also open to alternative solutions to this project. I'm essentially trying to make a small buzzer or beeper that can be activate through connecting to my phone (also considered RF connection).

Thank you!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

To be clear, you will need an MCU (microcontroller) of some kind in the mix. You don't have to use the HM-10 if you choose an MCU with on-board Bluetooth.

But, could you explain what the purpose of this will be? It's very hard to help properly without sufficient information.

aedelstein

Joined Jun 6, 2022
I play disc golf and often lose the discs (frisbees ) in tall brush or bushes. I usually know the general area, so I’d like to connect to the device and begin a buzzing or beeping sound to more easily locate it. It would need to be somewhat small and light so I can attach it to the disc.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Is there an MCU with Bluetooth that I could also connect a piezo to? One that is fairly small?
Well, yes. But that doesn’t sound trivial. It seems like it would change the balance of the disc. Also, the impact could have an effect on the MCU or the attachment of it. I wonder if you could make something that allowed you to press a button, and then some time later if the disc hadn’t been moved (seconds, minutes, whatever makes sense) it would begin alarming with increasing intensity.

Then you wouldn’t need the radio. You could also consider ultrasonics which is a common method now for communicating with things like televisions in conference rooms.

A direct answer to your question is this: https://www.seeedstudio.com/Seeed-XIAO-BLE-nRF52840-p-5201.html but remember you still have to power it. You could try to use the nRF52840 module directly, but that’s a hardware design project. However you look at this, it’s going to be very hard for a neophyte.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
A super bright LED on a CR2032 coin battery will be pretty bright - even in daylight. And will burn continuously for weeks. Slip a piece of paper in between the battery and the lead of the LED and you stop the flow of current. It's light weight and if placed in the center of the disk should have very little affect on aerodynamic performance. Better still - stay in bounds. Even a CR2450 will work, which is bigger and will burn a whole lot longer.