using E3640A as current source

yef smith

Joined Aug 2, 2020
Hello,I have the E3640A power supply need it to function as a current source .
in regular power supplies we set the maximum limit current and the regular voltage we want to output.
In the manual shown in the link there is just setting the maximal limit values, there is no option for setting the current we want to output.
How can i use it as a current source?
Thanks.
https://www.keysight.com/il/en/assets/7018-06827/data-sheets/5968-7355.pdf

1706703849267.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
To learn how to set that power supply to function as a constant current regulated supply you will need to consult the instruction manual.
But what I see is that thehere is a button on the front panel, upper row, marked Voltage/Current. Press and release that button and the mode should be shifted to current control. Then follow the prompts.
OR, as I suggested, READ THE MANUAL, The link included is not a link to the manual .

Last edited:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
The way I do mine is:

Set for CC mode
Turn voltage to max, current to min
Short circuit output & turn on
Set meter to current and adjust current limit
Remove short and set meter to volts
Turn voltage down if necessary but keep high enough to stay in CC mode
Turn output off and connect to circuit under test.

Casperson

Joined Aug 11, 2021
Same as every laboratory power supply: Just set the current limit to the constant current you want to have and the output voltage to a voltage higher than the maximum voltage that can occur. The power supply switches automatically to constant current mode if the current limit is reached.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Same as every laboratory power supply: Just set the current limit to the constant current you want to have and the output voltage to a voltage higher than the maximum voltage that can occur. The power supply switches automatically to constant current mode if the current limit is reached.
Not strictly true. My Tenma 72-6905 (2 x 32v 3A independent/ 64v 3A series/32v 6A parallel) does behave that way, but my 3040 (30v 40A single channel) doesn't, its current limit is a crowbar - hit the CC, volts go to zero, back off CC quite a way, volts return. It doesn't have a useful CC mode.