Using an Oscilloscope probe when using a DVM meters

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
I have been using an oscilloscope probe instead of regular DVM meter probes. Why I have been using an oscilloscope instead of using the regular DVM meter probe it because i was getting false logic triggering when probing test points or TTL/CMOS IC pins. I use a BNC to male banana plug adapter from my DVM meter to the oscilloscope probe.

Have you heard of electronic technicians doing this and when would you use an oscilloscope probe when using a DVM meter to troubleshoot or test circuit boards?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi Billy Mayo...

I would fire any tech who would use a 10X scope probe (designed for a scope that has a 1megΩ input impedance) ahead of a DVM that has an input impedance of 10, 20 or 100megΩ, for gross incompetence, because they obviously do not know what they are doing....

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
will i am getting false triggering when probing logic circuits when using DVM meter probes.

I need shielded meter probes, do you know any i can use for testing TTL and CMOS logic circuits?

How can I plug my DVM meter inputs into my analog oscilloscope?

can i use the oscilloscope external input bnc jack because i think the external output jack is ment for 10 megs to go into an external DVM meter or counter

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Just for the record, when I built an RMS-to-DC adapter I made the input 1.0 Meg shunted by 20 pf so that I can use it with scope probes.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
The oscilloscopes ch#1 output is 50 ohms , it's ment to be plug into a counter or function generator

The only way I will be able to use an oscilloscope probe with a DVM meter is to use an BNC "impedance matching adapter" or BNC termination adapter to match the Oscope probe to the DVM meter input?

My DVM meter leads are shield but not shield like a logic probe or oscilloscope probe

Last edited: