Using a shunt resistor to measure current?

Fluxor1964

Joined Jun 11, 2015
Can someone point me in the right direction for using a meter with a shunt resistor to measure current in a circuit please, I can't find what I am looking for online, maybe this site has a page dealing with this?

Fluxor1964

Joined Jun 11, 2015
I need to be able to measure up to one amp with a 50 microamp meter for my power supply, I believe there is a way to do it using shunts but i'm not sure?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I need to be able to measure up to one amp with a 50 microamp meter for my power supply, I believe there is a way to do it using shunts but i'm not sure?
You could do that, but then again you could just cut the line and bypass it through your MM, which should be capable of measuring what you want within that range.

Fluxor1964

Joined Jun 11, 2015
I have a 50 micro amp panel meter that I want to mount on the front panel of my power supply...there is a formulae to do this but i'm not sure about what it is....can anyone help?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I have a 50 micro amp panel meter that I want to mount on the front panel of my power supply...there is a formulae to do this but i'm not sure about what it is....can anyone help?
I see now what you're trying to do. Usually the amp panel's instructions tell you how to do that. Do you have the specs available? Or at least the brand and model to look for it online?

Fluxor1964

Joined Jun 11, 2015
it's made by uxell, I don't know anything else about it, from what I have found online I need to place a shunt resistor across it and do something with ohms law? there is a formulae but I just can't find it.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
it's made by uxell, I don't know anything else about it, from what I have found online I need to place a shunt resistor across it and do something with ohms law? there is a formulae but I just can't find it.
Bummer... Yes, there is a specific formula for each different device... can you post a pic? I might be able to find something.