Using a relay to activate and deactivate multiple switches

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
Need some advice and help please.

I have a set of aftermarket car tail lights that come as 4 units because you have the outside and the inside on each corner. On each of these light units there is a 2 wire switch that turns a sweeping sequential light on or off. So I am assuming if the switch is on it basically makes the contacts of those two wires connect and if it's off it makes the contact not connect.

What I want to do is dynamically change that based on a relay NC or NO. So if I was to put one end of that wire through the common and the other end on NC or NO then that works. However, problem is I have to put 4 different relays to do the same thing 4 times on 4 of those light units. All 4 relays will all need to be energised with the same power source so it seems kind of a waste.

Is there is neater way to do it his where I can use a single relay ?

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
So each light unit has multiple lights that sequentially light from a bulb at one end of the unit to the other end?

What is the lighting effect you are trying to achieve?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Need some advice and help please.

I have a set of aftermarket car tail lights that come as 4 units because you have the outside and the inside on each corner. On each of these light units there is a 2 wire switch that turns a sweeping sequential light on or off. So I am assuming if the switch is on it basically makes the contacts of those two wires connect and if it's off it makes the contact not connect.

What I want to do is dynamically change that based on a relay NC or NO. So if I was to put one end of that wire through the common and the other end on NC or NO then that works. However, problem is I have to put 4 different relays to do the same thing 4 times on 4 of those light units. All 4 relays will all need to be energised with the same power source so it seems kind of a waste.

Is there is neater way to do it his where I can use a single relay ?
The solution is very simple: Use a four-pole relay. That is, a relay with four independent sets of contacts. They are available from most reputable electronics distributors. Or, at a higher price, even available from "Grainger" company.