Using a laptop USB port to connect to a RS-232 serial device.

Walks91

Joined Apr 28, 2018
I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum (Analog and Mixed Signal Design), re-posting here.

I'm trying to connect a virtual serial device from my laptop to a RS-232 > Ethernet/IP converter (EIP-2202). I'm only using a virtual serial port to get an idea of how my converter sends and receives data. I know this can generally be solved with a simple USB to RS-232 converter. However my converter needs to be individually wired, there is no connector. My serial device only has wire connections for CTS, RXD, RTS, TXD, 24vdc power, common and chassis ground. I have a 24v power supply to use for the converter.

I was thinking about using a USB > RS232 cable and cutting the serial connector off and then determine which wires are which. When I know which wires are the the ones I need, could I just hook the four of them up? I looked at some USB > RS-232 converters and there is definitely some circuitry involved so I want to make sure this would actually work before I go cutting up my cables.

An overview of my project is to create a virtual com port on my laptop, connect laptop USB to the converter's serial port > connect the converter back to my laptop via Ethernet/IP. The converter is a Comtrl EIP-2202 and has it's own IP address. If ip addressing conflict might be a problem I can maybe use a VM with a different ip to create the virtual com port.

Thanks for any help!

Walks91

Joined Apr 28, 2018
I thought I only had the one USB>RS232 cable but I looked around again and found an old DB9 cable I can use to daisy chain. Thank you again for the help.