Using a Field Controlled DC Shunt Motor as a controllable brake

Zie Ka Ndlovu

Joined May 5, 2019
I am working on a controls project and I need your help. So I am supposed to use a shunt DC motor as a controllable brake to load an induction motor. The specifications are that I use (for the DC machine) field control via PWM and attach a resistor bank to the armature terminals to dissipate the rotational energy of the rotating shaft that connects the DC machine and the induction machine to be loaded. Do you by any chance have resources that I may look into to achieve this and strategies on how I can approach this? For my case, I am using an inline torque transducer (mounted on the shaft to measure the torque and speed of the shaft) that will determine for me the torque applied by the DC motor. The control specifications are that the end user should be able to input the torque they want and the system should control the DC motor to provide that kind of torque. I plan to use Matlab and Simulink to do this; if you have an idea of how the transfer function for this scenario looks like I'll be happy to know so I can compare what you have with what I have. Please feel free to send any correspondence to my email as well: <snip>.

Kind regards,
Zie

Moderator note:
Email will be harvested by spam bots, so I removed it Send user a private message instead,

Good luck Zie.
Wendy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks for the welcome Yaakov :)
Something similar to that but its more like a year design project.
I suspect the homework forum is the right place for this post but the moderators can decide if it needs moving or not.

Generally, you will get the best help if you “show your work” to this point. The forum isn’t good for a fishing expedition but if you catch some fish and show them here people can certainly help you figure out how to clean and cook them, or if there are even edible.

If you have some ideas, give a brief explanation and some documentation and people will happily point you in the right direction. There is almost always a lot of help here.