use usart for large data size

mohammad2050

Joined Nov 14, 2014
hi

i have a device that have communication port (tx,rx,gnd) for connect to pc . i use hyper terminal for send command to device. device wake up when received tab buttons three times and information page appears and show more information with other keyboard keys . i want to use avr microcontroller for connect to device but want know that do can use usart for this purpose ? do can getting full data returned from device because returned data have large size ?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
On a PIC you would receive data up to the capacity of the particular PIC, if more memory is required a memory IC can be added and if necessary could be an Ic2 read/write type.
The usart device will depend on the protocol presently being used, RS232, RS485 etc.
Max.

Last edited:

JWHassler

Joined Sep 25, 2013
hi

i have a device that have communication port (tx,rx,gnd) for connect to pc . i use hyper terminal for send command to device. device wake up when received tab buttons three times and information page appears and show more information with other keyboard keys . i want to use avr microcontroller for connect to device but want know that do can use usart for this purpose ? do can getting full data returned from device because returned data have large size ?
Often, the returned data will have a specific character, like ">" or "?", that signals that control has been handed over to you.
Or, your microcontroller program can know ahead of time how much of the returned data to ignore.

If you can talk to this device with HyperTerminal, you can do the same with an AVR's USART. The hardware interface (i.e., level-shifting) must be worked out, too.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A USART transmission can take a few protocol formats, and specialized IC's are available for each protocol, such as EIA, RS232, RS422, or RS485.
e.g. the RS232 common IC is the MAX232
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You said you use Hyperterminal, suggesting a PC at one end, generally this uses either a DP9 RS232 port or a USB port, but the USB generally has to be configured on the PC as a regular serial port for protocol tranlation?
Max.

mohammad2050

Joined Nov 14, 2014
You said you use Hyperterminal, suggesting a PC at one end, generally this uses either a DP9 RS232 port or a USB port, but the USB generally has to be configured on the PC as a regular serial port for protocol tranlation?
Max.
i used of converter for connect pc to device . this converter Is provided by the manufacturer . but i used ttl to rs232 converter and was able to Contact to device .

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I see now you have started a new thread for the the same issue?
Best to contain it to one problem at a time or a combined issues??
Max.