USB keyboard with 8 keys using DIP chips

testuserabcdef

Joined Jul 12, 2016
What I want to do is create my own DDR (dance dance revolution) machine using my computer with the DDR software installed on it. I have been using it with the computer keyboard, but now I want to turn it into an arcade machine and the only thing I can think of since my computer does not have a PS/2 port is to take apart a new USB keyboard and connect the appropriate wires to the dance pads (a.k.a large buttons the width of a large foot), that way when someone steps on a dance arrow, the special key is pressed and the system responds accordingly.

If serial port was an option, I'd use a simple 8051 microcontroller and program it, but I'm not familiar with USB data decoding enough to try to pull it off with an 8051, and also the timing of the 8051 might be insufficient as those micros can go up to maybe 33Mhz?

But that makes me curious, because S stands for serial in USB, could I wire the data pins of the USB to TXD and RXD of say an AT89C2051 (mini 8051 microcontroller), and send commands via the serial port and possibly make a USB 2.0 or even 1.2 keyboard that way? (and I'll be connecting individual keys to port P1).

Reading the keys from the microcontroller won't be a problem but its sending the correct data/receiving the correct data at the correct speed is what I'm not sure about.

So is making a mini USB keyboard (with say 8 keys total) possible with using an AT89C2051 and a 24Mhz crystal? and will a system today be able to recognize it? or will I have to deal with the newer SMD USB integrated microcontrollers? I prefer working with DIP chips as they can be more secured on the board with lower precision alignment requirements.