USB ids

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
i know it sounds weird, that because i did not explain my project exactly, thanks for the help
It sounds like you are not very clear on the project.

If all you want is the computer to recognize a device then take any old device and the computer will recognize it. That part of the project is done. You just need to write a new driver and app which do what you want instead of what the original driver did. There, problem solved.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Michael,
If you can't already tell many of us have short fuses around here for new people who are provided with information that would be very beneficial for them to learn about yet they refuse to take the 5 minutes to actually read and learn instead of just expecting it to be handed to them on a silver platter.

This site isn't for free Engineering services... We try to help.. But we aren't going to do it all for you for free.. Let alone for a product that you may make money on..

Michael Nusair

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Ok maybe i will have to explain better,
lets say i want to make a fast discharge component for android devices. of course this is stupid but lets say that. now i want to open a battery stats app that i maid when the discharging cable is connected (lets say its just a resistor between +5V and GND). i will short the sense line to GND to cause the phone to output power (OTG) and thats it. now i can make an app with the usb host mode android api. if i understand correctly all i need is to put the usb ids on the app (in the correct xml file.. blah blah) and the rest of the app is just stats of the battery. now what is the best way to present usb ids on my free D- and D+ data lines so that i can define my app to open when a usb "device" with these ids is connected?
again, thanks for trying to help.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Ok maybe i will have to explain better,
lets say i want to make a fast discharge component for android devices. of course this is stupid but lets say that. now i want to open a battery stats app that i maid when the discharging cable is connected (lets say its just a resistor between +5V and GND). i will short the sense line to GND to cause the phone to output power (OTG) and thats it. now i can make an app with the usb host mode android api. if i understand correctly all i need is to put the usb ids on the app (in the correct xml file.. blah blah) and the rest of the app is just stats of the battery. now what is the best way to present usb ids on my free D- and D+ data lines so that i can define my app to open when a usb "device" with these ids is connected?
again, thanks for trying to help.
Jokes aside, here's an idea. Some USB memory sticks (specifically those of the kingston brand) have a unique serial number that can be read with a simple app that you could write in .NET, for instance. You could use that memory stick as the key that will activate whatever routine you want in your computer, assuming your app will constantly monitor your computer's USB ports.

Michael Nusair

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Jokes aside, here's an idea. Some USB memory sticks (specifically those of the kingston brand) have a unique serial number that can be read with a simple app that you could write in .NET, for instance. You could use that memory stick as the key that will activate whatever routine you want in your computer, assuming your app will constantly monitor your computer's USB ports.
Yes i thought about that, but i want a general solution than i can produce in large quantities. i want my own simple way to identify my "cable". i understand that maybe there isnt a way, at least without deep learning, but i thought its worth to try asking. Tanks again

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Well first you are going to have to get a license to produce USB devices with your "name" it only costs 5000$.
After that computer needs to know VID & PID identifiers so it can recognize the device in case that you want to use HID interface,in case you dont want to use HID you will have to write your own Drivers.

Michael Nusair

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Well first you are going to have to get a license to produce USB devices with your "name" it only costs 5000$.
After that computer needs to know VID & PID identifiers so it can recognize the device in case you want to use HID interface,in case you dont want to use HID you will have to write your own Drivers.
getting a license is one option, and i also thought about another option, which is, if ill have to use a microcontroller anyway, so its VID and PID exists already, and i will only change the classes or sub calsses