USB EEPROM Programmer

shoaibali

Joined Jan 25, 2009
Hi
Few days ago I needed a spi eeprom programmer but couldn't find any cheap USB based Eeprom programmer. The cheap Programmers are either Serial or Parallel port programmers. I am thinking about developing a USB based Eeprom programmer with a reasonable price (around $40 - $50).

I have plans to support I2C and SPI based Eeproms.
I would apprecitate your comments/suggestions as to what devices it should support (in this price) and would it be worth it to develop it?

Many thanks in advance

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Don't overlook the large number of Serial-Port to USB converters commercially available and very competitively priced.

hgmjr

shoaibali

Joined Jan 25, 2009
Thanks for your reply but the cheaper eeprom programmers (around 30$) support either serial or parallel port. The one with parallel port usually dont work with parallel-usb converter and even cheap serial-usb converter makes them over $40.

I am planning to develop and market a cheap USB based eeprom(plus some commonly used C51,AVR) programmer. I would appreciate your suggestions as to what devices it should support and would it be worth it to do it?
Regards
Shoaib Ali

qwerky

Joined Jun 23, 2009
I think USB-parallel converters like FT232R (it can work in parallel synchronous mode), FT2232, CY7C68013A are good candidates for creating new serial programmer - analog of Ponyprog/ICProg.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I think it would be "worth it" in terms of experience, and "worth it" in terms of helping others who might want to use your design (provided it is open source) and it would be "worth it" because it would demonstrate your abilities and earn respect from others.

But I not sure it would be worth it as a product to sell and make money, the market is very small even though it is a cool idea.