USB C to USB C - - - is this for charging devices only or does it transfer data as well?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I just got a laser etcher/cutter for my shop. It takes USB C. My computer is USB C. I don't want to buy a cable that ONLY does charging. How do I know if a cable does both data as well as charging? For sure, I will need this to be for data transfer from computer files to the laser. Not needed for charging any devices.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Things I see:
  • Highly Compatible: Designed to work flawlessly with any USB-C device.
  • This cable does not support media display.
  • Transfer Files in Seconds: Transfer movies, music, or an entire photo library in seconds with 480Mbps transfer speeds.

I'd say it doesn't support video but it looks like transfers data.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
All USB-C – USB-C cables will handle power and data. The only concern is the power rating of the cable. Laptops for example can require 60 watts or even a 100 watts or more.

USB-C PD (Power Delivery) chargers negotiate with a connected device to supply voltages greater than 5 volts (up to 20 in the current standard) at up to 5 amps or more.

Any USB-C cable will provide data and power between most devices. Only high-power devices require higher rated cables.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Well, after days of trying to get my computer to communicate with my laser engraver - and failed, I've been in contact with Light Burn (developers of a burn program for lasers). They tell me there have been reported issues with iMac C to C cables. He said others have used a USB hub and that seems to have worked. So I guess I'm going to give this cable a try. I already have a USB hub, so - - - .

However, I'm wondering about the "Pull-Up" resistor they mention. Perhaps that's the key? Maybe that might negate my attempts. I hate throwing money at guesses, but here goes.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
:( The results of prostituting an universal serial bus data cable to provide cheap-on-hand charging connection for the masses... :(

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Is that an answer as to why there's a pull-up resistor built in? If so - it's over my head.
The USB Type-C standard calls for resistors on pins CC1 and CC2 to specify the nature of the port. Ports can be UFP (Upstream Facing Ports) or DFP (Downstream Facing Ports). This determines how the port it is connected to will behave.

This application note from Microchip is a very good (the link will take you to the CC pin info), simplified reference to the standard. You can find the standard online but it is incredibly detailed and you probably don’t need it if you have the app note—though even if you want to learn more (always good) from the standard, understanding the app note will let you navigate the hundreds of pages of the stancard more easily.

Type-C is complicated but quite good when properly implemented. Unfortunately it is widely implemented poorly ranging from just being a power jack no different from a barrel jack in its sophistication to partially which leads to mysterious incompatibilities, to just plain incorrectly.

You can get the connectors to make your own, working cable. The ones used in overmolded cables are widely available, and can include small PCBs where the connector is mounted, and pads are provided for resistors and caps, with pads for the cable connections as well,