Upgrading a projector

tfoller

Joined Feb 1, 2018
I have a simple LCD/LED projector with native resolution of 800 x 480 and I'd like to know how hard is it to upgrade it to 1920x1080. As far as I understand I need to change the matrix inside and maybe some boards. I'm only interested in mirroring my laptop screen via HDMI. Can it be done by buying some ready-to-use components and putting them in or will I have solder my own custom boards and such?

Thank you!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have a simple LCD/LED projector with native resolution of 800 x 480 and I'd like to know how hard is it to upgrade it to 1920x1080. As far as I understand I need to change the matrix inside and maybe some boards. I'm only interested in mirroring my laptop screen via HDMI. Can it be done by buying some ready-to-use components and putting them in or will I have solder my own custom boards and such?

Thank you!
Sure it can be done if you are willing to spend a lot of bucks ripping apart the internals and retrofitting a lot of the electronics and mechanicals.

It would be a lot less expensive and less painful to go and buy a new projector.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Basically you'd end up re-making most of the projector, and it likely will cost a lot more and wouldn't work as well as a new projector.