Ultrasonic Transducer and Reducing the Power Output

philvb

Joined Sep 30, 2023
I am working on a project involving the use of a Piezo Ceramic Ultrasonic transducer which is rated at 35 watts. I am able to adjust the power supply to a lower output, but since the transducer is not adjustable, will it put out the same amount of power that I would be supplying to it? Ex: If I reduce the wattage to 5 watts and supply that to the transducer, will it also emit 5 watts?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A simple transducer will not deliver more acoustic power than the electrical power you supply to it. So if it is simply a transducer, adjusting the amplifier feeding it will allow reducing the power. But if it is a package that provides both the transducer and the signal source, it will require adjusting of the source. That might be as simple as reducing the mains power supplied, or it might not be.
Without more information we have no clue.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Do you have a control board?? Is one available?? Is a driver board offered? If you have a driver board it should start working at a fairly low voltage, and with the piezo sounder connected you should see some signal on the microphone you are using to detect the ultrasonic signal.

If there is no driver module then you will need to create some sort of oscillator circuit to drive it. The amplitude of the sound will be much greater at the resonant frequency, whatever that actually is.

Last edited: