Ultra low power transceiver module ( <5mA)

Answerz

Joined Jun 15, 2021
Hi,

I have a project Where I would like to transmit a signal from a sensor (Thermistor) wirelessly. My challenge is that I have a very weak power source that I want to demonstrate it is performance. The source can deliver 3 V- 2mA consistently. I was wondering if there are any transceiver modules (Tx & Rx) that work with 3V - 4mA or less on the transmitter side. Short-distance channels are fine (5 meters to 10 meters) is fine.

Here is what I found:

ADF7024 --> 20mA Tx
S2-LP --> 10 mA Tx
SX1261 --> 17 mA Tx
AX5043 --> 7.5 mA
ZL70251 --> 2.4 mA Tx (Not confident in my data sheet reading!)

Does anyone know of wireless modules that use 3V - 4mA or less by Tx? or if the ZL70251 is my best option?

(Note: I would like it to have a reasonable price < 100$)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What distance does the signal have to cover and what is the minimum signal your receiver can detect in dBm if you know that number.
BTW - the better your receiver and antenna are the more likely a low power transmitter will work for you.

Answerz

Joined Jun 15, 2021
What distance does the signal have to cover and what is the minimum signal your receiver can detect in dBm if you know that number.
BTW - the better your receiver and antenna are the more likely a low power transmitter will work for you.
The distance that I want to cover is 5~10 meters (minimum). I don't have a dBm value, to be honest. As long as the sensor reading is transmitted and received I am good. I have not chosen a receiver. If you can recommend a receiver and transmitter combo that allows me to meet my Tx power condition, that would be great.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The distance that I want to cover is 5~10 meters (minimum). I don't have a dBm value, to be honest. As long as the sensor reading is transmitted and received I am good. I have not chosen a receiver. If you can recommend a receiver and transmitter combo that allows me to meet my Tx power condition, that would be great.
I don't know what to tell you if you don't have any appropriate specifications for either receiver sensitivity or transmitter power output. You need to start with those numbers because if the receiver cannot hear the transmitter, then the amount of input power consumed by the transmitter is irrelevant! I was hoping that you had a general purpose receiver that you could use to evaluate the transmitters that you picked. What you should be aiming for is a transmitter that has an output 20-30 dB above the receivers minimum detectable signal at the maximum distance. this will give you some margin to work with. You really don't want to pick a solution that is on the edge of not working.

Answerz

Joined Jun 15, 2021
I don't know what to tell you if you don't have any appropriate specifications for either receiver sensitivity or transmitter power output. You need to start with those numbers because if the receiver cannot hear the transmitter, then the amount of input power consumed by the transmitter is irrelevant! I was hoping that you had a general-purpose receiver that you could use to evaluate the transmitters that you picked. What you should be aiming for is a transmitter that has an output 20-30 dB above the receiver's minimum detectable signal at the maximum distance. this will give you some margin to work with. You really don't want to pick a solution that is on the edge of not working.
My plan was to get 2 of the same module to act as a Tx and Rx for easier sync.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
My plan was to get 2 of the same module to act as a Tx and Rx for easier sync.
It is fine to get two identical transceivers. What will you do if they don't communicate over the distance you have in mind? Continue buying pairs of devices until you find one that works. That's a terrific plan. Good luck.