Ubunto starts with no mouse.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This happened in in Ubuntu 12.10 and 14.04. I can restart the computer to get a mouse pointer or I can type in something. Is there anything I can type in to force Ubuntu to show a useful mouse pointer? load and/or start the mouse driver? Switch something to show the screen that HAS a mouse pointer?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Failed the mouse at start-up again today...twice...at 9 am and 12:30 pm.
In addition, I'm having difficulty with Firefox. I have to refresh each page before it loads the page correctly. Big chunks of the old page remain on the screen until I load the page twice.
I see my dual core AMD64 CPU is hitting 100% use fairly often. That explains some lag in loading. For the first time, I am considering buying a computer just to get more processing power.:eek:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Failed the mouse at start-up again today...twice...at 9 am and 12:30 pm.
In addition, I'm having difficulty with Firefox. I have to refresh each page before it loads the page correctly. Big chunks of the old page remain on the screen until I load the page twice.
I see my dual core AMD64 CPU is hitting 100% use fairly often. That explains some lag in loading. For the first time, I am considering buying a computer just to get more processing power.:eek:
Hmmm....how much memory you got? Linux is generally light-weight (at least compared to Windows!) -- but Ubuntu can tax your CPU if you're low-memory or video card not up to snuff.

I'll do some research on your mouse problem. Give me as many details about your box -- make, model, any model numbers printed on the back.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Another FYI: If you are low on memory, there will be lots of thrashing of the hard drive as applications are moved in and out of memory. Memory is cheap these days -- buy some more if you can.

Also, an SSD drive will make any system lightning fast -- Linux or Windows. They are a bit more expensive than a magnetic drive, but boot times on an SSD drop to about 10 seconds versus minutes. And apps open instantly.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You saw the numbers. 1.8 gigs of RAM register on the system report.
Motherboard video only.
Mouse is Hewlett-Packard USB mouse model HM01. Uses LED light to tell when it's moving.
I have a Compaq ball mouse I can plug in to the same port.
I have a Targus wireless mouse, but it lags on Vista, so I have forsaken it.:(

My quadcore computer died a couple of weeks ago. I have a set of 4 matching 1 gig memory sticks that look like they will plug into this computer. Is 2 gig enough or should I plug in the matched quad of RAM?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
2 gig is like bare minimum these days, for any OS. Get some more if you can.

type the following commands:

cat /proc/cpuinfo > ~/Desktop/cpuinfo.txt

and

free -h > ~/Desktop/free.txt

and upload the two files (they'll be on the Desktop) for me to see.

Last edited:

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
You saw the numbers. 1.8 gigs of RAM register on the system report.
Motherboard video only.
Mouse is Hewlett-Packard USB mouse model HM01. Uses LED light to tell when it's moving.
I have a Compaq ball mouse I can plug in to the same port.
I have a Targus wireless mouse, but it lags on Vista, so I have forsaken it.:(

My quadcore computer died a couple of weeks ago. I have a set of 4 matching 1 gig memory sticks that look like they will plug into this computer. Is 2 gig enough or should I plug in the matched quad of RAM?
Whats wrong with the quad rig ???
Best of luck using Ubuntu..I tried using it a while ago and switch back to Windows and have windows 7 and windows 10 copies which I am set till the next windows upgrade..

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Whats wrong with the quad rig ???
It went into failure to start. The fans would run for 4 seconds, then cycle off, all day if you let it.
So I went through my basic diagnostic sequence. Check power supply voltages, take out half the RAM, then put that half back and take the other half out, unplug stuff until there is nothing left but the motherboard and a hard drive, then swap out the hard drive.
It became an organ donor.:(

It's OK. I still have one Vista computer left.:)
Except it's a Linux computer today.:confused:
Meh. I can get on the Internet, check my email, and print a page.
And it isn't annoying my ISP.
Good enough.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
It went into failure to start. The fans would run for 4 seconds, then cycle off, all day if you let it.
So I went through my basic diagnostic sequence. Check power supply voltages, take out half the RAM, then put that half back and take the other half out, unplug stuff until there is nothing left but the motherboard and a hard drive, then swap out the hard drive.
It became an organ donor.:(

It's OK. I still have one Vista computer left.:)
Except it's a Linux computer today.:confused:
Meh. I can get on the Internet, check my email, and print a page.
And it isn't annoying my ISP.
Good enough.
Sounds like caps dried out or thermal compound dried out ..