Forum Suggestion Typo corrections in thread titles

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I am frequently irked by spelling and grammar mistakes on this forum.

I don't know if the forum software makes this possible, but I had the idea that some members could be granted the privileges to edit thread titles. I understand that people might not appreciate having their posts corrected, but since moderators correct typos in thread titles already, I thought perhaps some of us could help make their job easier.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Only moderators have the privilege to edit every post on the forum.
There is no posibility to have edit privileges in an other way.

Bertus

PS a lot of members do not have english as their first language.
Even mine is not. My first language is Dutch.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That and we allow peoples post to stand as written. Censorship, even in the name of readability, is a bad thing in my honor system. Sometimes I make grammar mistakes to make a point, others I just screw up. This is not a writing site, though I belong to those too.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
This is a truly HORRIBLE idea. Few things are more likely to cause an Internet forum to violently self-destruct than allowing some members the privilege of modifying other members' posts.

Don't do this.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
That and we allow peoples post to stand as written. Censorship, even in the name of readability, is a bad thing in my honor system. Sometimes I make grammar mistakes to make a point, others I just screw up. This is not a writing site, though I belong to those too.
Which is why I suggested only being able to edit thread titles, NOT posts (I would hate that too; see the 2nd paragraph of my first post). But I understand.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I missed the thread titles part, however, even that gives big clues as to whom you are dealing with.

In extreme cases the mods will edit titles, but it is rare.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I missed the thread titles part, however, even that gives big clues as to whom you are dealing with.
True, I get what you're saying. Posters should be responsible to edit their own thread titles.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If a topic starter wants something in a title to be changed, he can always contact a moderator to make the change.
We harldy get these kind of requests (upto now).

Bertus

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Poorly titled threads, whether just a spelling, capitalization and grammar mess or a misdescription of the thread content, reflect badly on the thread starter and by association, the other members and the site as a whole but a solution that isn't counterproductive seems to evade us.

I rarely respond to such threads since the title warns me that the quality of communication in the thread will be low regardless of my, or anyone else's good contributions.