Two-bit crook

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I have a friend who is a retired truck driver. He delivered skids of coins to the federal reserve. They were shipped in from the mint on semi's; he would break the loads down and move the delivery quantity to the fed, where security was tight. However, there was nothing to stop him from absconding with a truck load instead of making the delivery if he had been so inclined.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I have a friend who is a retired truck driver. He delivered skids of coins to the federal reserve. They were shipped in from the mint on semi's; he would break the loads down and move the delivery quantity to the fed, where security was tight. However, there was nothing to stop him from absconding with a truck load instead of making the delivery if he had been so inclined.
mmmmhhhh.... I dunno... was the load more valuable than the truck? o_O

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
mmmmhhhh.... I dunno... was the load more valuable than the truck? o_O
I once saw a gold delivery being made to the Denver mint. The semi-tractor was armored. I don't remember if the trailer was armored as well. There were sharp shooters on the roof of the mint. :eek:

Trivia:
The Denver Mint does mint gold commemerative coins and medals but most of the gold is just stored there.
In 1934 the gold stored in San Fransisco was shipped to Denver. A documentary I recently saw stated that at that time Denver had more gold than the rest of the world combined.
Denver stores almost 20% of the US mint's gold:
Denver, CO 43,853,707.279 troy ounces.
Fort Knox, KY 147,341,858.382 troy ounces.
West Point, NY 54,067,331.379 troy ounces.
Some gold is also stored by the Federal Reserve 13,378,981.034 troy ounces.
The Denver Mint used to have an armored machine gun nest at its front entrance. (I don't know when it was removed).