Tv ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
OK somebody just thru out a CRT TV and the onle thing they did is cut the power cord. Since they thru it out I took the TV and want to see if I can solder a few copper wires onto it and plug it into the wall and watch TV.

Is it possible to solder a few copper wires onto the cut end of the cord.
I also need to know if I can get a power 3 or 2 plug that plugs into the wall. I don't know what they are called just power connector.

Is their any local shop such as a radio shack that would sell just the plug part of the power cord of a TV. And would 22 gauge wire be OK to use.
It is rated at 300 volts. The power from the house comes in at 120 volt approx. USA

It is insultated wire but I don't know how insulated it has to be I have electric tape. If this is all possible I just want to make sure I am safe when it comes to electricity.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
OK somebody just thru out a CRT TV and the onle thing they did is cut the power cord.
It may have been someone performing a vindictive act that cut the cord, but it also could have been that the set had serious problems.
Since they thru it out I took the TV and want to see if I can solder a few copper wires onto it and plug it into the wall and watch TV.
It's more involved than that.

You would need to determine which wire was hot and which was neutral. Usually there are ribs cast into the insulation on one side. Connecting them backwards may create a safety issue.
I also need to know if I can get a power 3 or 2 plug that plugs into the wall. I don't know what they are called just power connector.
You can get 2-prong polarized plugs and 3-prong plugs from hardware stores. You can also get "zip cord" 2-prong plug polarized extension cords, and simply cut off the socket end. Match the ribs in the "zip cord" extension cord to the ribs in the cord on the TV.

Is their any local shop such as a radio shack that would sell just the plug part of the power cord of a TV.
Hardware stores. ACE Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes.

And would 22 gauge wire be OK to use.
The smallest gauge I would use is AWG 16. 22 would be too small.

It is insultated wire but I don't know how insulated it has to be I have electric tape.
Don't use electrical tape as insulation; it isn't safe for that. The tape's glue will get "gummy" and the tape will unwind, eventually leaving the wires bare. Several layers of heat shrink tubing would be much safer.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok assuming I find the correct wire for hot and neutral.
How do I connect the wire to the 2-prong polarized plugs or 3-prong plugs. They have hole's on one side where I can stick the wires but do you solder them, tape them .. what ?

And when I looked last the cut cord had 2 copper wires coming out of it.
So I should probably use the 2 pronng plug.

Plus I have shrink wrap in different sizes is this going to be enough protection around the copper wire. Or can I use electric tape on top of the shrink wrap to hold it in place?

Note the copper wire I have has insulation on it I just want to know how much insulation would make it really safe?

Thanks.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
OK somebody just thru out a CRT TV and the onle thing they did is cut the power cord. Since they thru it out I took the TV and want to see if I can solder a few copper wires onto it and plug it into the wall and watch TV.

Is their any local shop such as a radio shack that would sell just the plug part of the power cord of a TV. And would 22 gauge wire be OK to use.
It is rated at 300 volts. The power from the house comes in at 120 volt approx. USA

It is insultated wire but I don't know how insulated it has to be I have electric tape. If this is all possible I just want to make sure I am safe when it comes to electricity.
You may be better off simply harvesting the components from the TV for use as parts for your own projects.

hgmjr