Tunable bandpass filter

Thread Starter

MikeD_72

Joined Nov 11, 2008
46
I'd like to design a (quick and dirty) tunable bandpass filter for some experiments. I haven't found any schematics or tips for designing such a beast. Maybe someone can help?

The circuit must be tuned with a pot/variable resistor. I'd like to have constant gain, but it's not necessary (I can amplify the signal with an inverting amp afterwards). Having a constant Q (~5 to 10) or bandwidth (~100 to 200Hz) would also be a nice plus.

Thanks!
 

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,839
Look up active filters on Wikipedia.

There are some good books on the subject too, my old bible is "Designing Active Filters" I think it was called. Can't put my hands on it at the moment.

Also think about simple RC tuned circuits, such as Wien Bridges, also on Wikipedia.
 
Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,839
Almost all of them will do it, the problem variable is Q. Try building a Wien Bridge Oscillator with insufficient gain, I think it will do what you want.

Or you could build a Wien Bridge followed by a simple op amp amp with whatever gain you need to do what you want.

Almost any RC design needs dual pots, if you can get an actual dual potentiometer that would work best.
 

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
403
SgtWookie, thanks for your help.

I was using 300-2700 Hertz. Figured center would be 1660 Hz.
Bandwidth is 2400
First problem is the gain must be 1.
Then it gets weird.
If center freq. is 1698, R3 is 5,960,859
If center freq. is 1697, R3 is -99,992,634
If center freq. is 1700 things start to get real.
 

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
2,229
I have the perfect solution: it's called a Vox Crybaby. You might check with your friendly local garage band to see if one's available.

Eric
 
Top