TS472 Low Noise Mic Preamp

jjj

Joined Feb 25, 2007
I bought this great, low noise Mic Preamp from Ali Express, but when I connected it, there was no sound.
I'm not sure how to adjust it. Do I have to choose and solder-bridge the gain spots? What about the Standby Mode? I don't need the Standby Mode. Is it off or has it to be activated?
Please be so kind to advice me on how to go about. Thanking you in advance, Jo (young pensioner ...78) from Townsville QLD

Attachments

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
It looks as though you need to short one of the sets of jumpers to set the gain before it will do anything. This is all I could find out about it:

Taidacent TS472 Audio Electret MIC Preamp Board Ultra Low Noise Stereo Condenser Microphone Preamplifier PCB for PDA Notebook
The TS472 is a differential-input microphone preamplifier optimized for high-performance PDA and notebook audio systems. This device features an adjustable gain from 0 to 40 dB with excellent power-supply and common mode rejection ratios. In addition, the TS472 has a very low noise microphone bias generator of 2 V. It also includes a complete shutdown function, with active low standby mode.

Feature
■ Low noise: 10 nV/√Hz typ. equivalent input noise at F = 1 kHz
■ Fully-differential input/output
■ 2.2 to 5.5 V single supply operation
■ Low power consumption at 20 dB: 1.8 mA
■ Fast start up time at 0 dB: 5 ms typ.
■ Low distortion: 0.1% typ.
■ 40 kHz bandwidth regardless of the gain
■ Active low standby mode function (1 μA max)
■ Low noise 2.0 V microphone bias output
■Available in flip-chip lead-free package and in QFN24 4 x 4 mm package
■ ESD protection (2 kV)

Parameters
1. 2.2 to 5.5 V single supply operation
2. Low power consumption at 20 dB: 1.8 mA
3.Fast start-up time at 0 dB: 5 ms typ.
4.Low distortion: 0.1% typ.

Applications
■ Video and photo cameras with sound input
■ Sound acquisition and voice recognition
■ Video conference systems

■ Notebook computers and PDAs

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
AliExpress and their sellers know nothing about the cheap Chinese stuff they sell. No instructions.
1) Connect the electret mic with the correct polarity.
2) Power the module with 2.2V to 5.5V.
3) Connect the Standby pin maybe to VCC+. They spell standby as Staupby because they got the N and D upside down.
4) Jumper how much gain you want.
5) Guess what to do about Vx and Vbias.
Use one of the balanced outputs and a ground with a shielded audio cable.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Hrer is the data sheet for the TS472 pre-amp chip. There is some valuable information in the application notes and a schematic that looks very similar to what you ordered.
Regards,
Keith

Attachments

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
That almost belongs in the jokes thread. The two letters need to be rotated 180˚ but not change their order.
The Chinese made more profit by not hiring an English-speaking person to check their labelling.
Maybe that is why there are no instructions about connecting the thing.

AliExpress and their sellers know nothing about the cheap Chinese stuff they sell. No instructions.
1) Connect the electret mic with the correct polarity.
2) Power the module with 2.2V to 5.5V.
3) Connect the Standby pin maybe to VCC+. They spell standby as Staupby because they got the N and D upside down.
4) Jumper how much gain you want.
5) Guess what to do about Vx and Vbias.
Use one of the balanced outputs and a ground with a shielded audio cable.
Yeah its confused me as its the bias as its maybe I am having a brain fart but it looks just like a solder short point just like the gain is.
Vx I am like whats that? :) Again solder short.

Standby seems to be +/- to a middle common and again bemused.