Trying to source a reluctance stepper motor

owatson15

Joined Mar 22, 2021
Hi there

I'm working on a project for my university degree, which requires a motor that is capable of precise control of position (or torque), but can also be spun manually with minimum disturbance to rotation. I'm very new to electrical engineering, so don't know much about my options, but from what I've read a variable reluctance stepper motor will give me what I need, as is has no detent torque when unpowered. The problem is, I cant seem to source any of this type of motor, only hybrid motors with permanent magnet rotors. I was wondering if anyone had an idea where I could buy a reluctance stepper motor?

Many Thanks

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Perhaps a DC motor with encoder feedback is the solution?

A bit more complex to drive, but the residual cogging torque can be very small if you open-circuit the armature.

owatson15

Joined Mar 22, 2021
Perhaps a DC motor with encoder feedback is the solution?

A bit more complex to drive, but the residual cogging torque can be very small if you open-circuit the armature.
Okay, the residual torque being from electromagnetic resistance between the armature and rotor? I was thinking a hybrid stepper motor might offer the accurate control with only a bit of detent torque when unpowered, but if DC motors have a low cogging torque too then that could be what I do. This helps, thank you!

Thanks for the reply

owatson15

Joined Mar 22, 2021

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thank you, I'll have a look into these, they look promising from that article

Thank you for the help!
SRM's are something I'm interested in. I kind of think one could be made from an inrunner BLDC motor by making a new rotor, one with just iron/steel poles without any permanent magnets. But I have too many other projects going to spend time trying to do it. :)