Trusted Member Doing At Home Work

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Thinging out loud also,lets keep this post alive,get together and make things happen.

Brownout made a good post about making this happen,the communications is the

tough part,the trust.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
If your talking about the link in my signature, yes, I've seen where people have clicked on it to go to the website.

I'm not sure about your question ... what would they request of me? I know alot of people have written me complaining about one thing or another, only to be disappointed when I tell them I am NOT the FCC and the fcc's website is fcc.gov

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
No... I help people prepare to take the test, so when they spend the application fee, they only spend it ONCE.

I also help people when they have a difficult time understanding a question. And yes, sometimes the question is wrong and needs correction.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Joe,what do you think about members with extra time to put boards together

for busy members or assist new or younger members or repair boards.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
What I think is anyone with the entrepreneurial spirit should persue it. If that includes subcontracting, for a fee or just postage, I'd say let them go for it.

Mitch electronics is one such user with the spirit, creating PCBs.

If the cause is right, I'm sure some would volunteer to put circuits together, or collaborate on a worthwhile project. The most recent one I recall is the young girl (and mom) who put together an LED USA sign for the winter olympics, that Sgt Wookie spent alot of time being a good mentor. There are plenty who mentor in the homework section, who, by their nature, I'm sure would step up for a worthy cause. Again, those stepping up will identify which cause they deem worthy.

Troubleshooting, although remotely, happens at these forums as well. I'm sure if one was nearby another member, it would improve the chances of hands on approach vice remotely.

Given the right project, a team could be assembled. It would be like trying to assemble a team to restore an old ship, from those who served in her.

For cash or love, somethings will always get accomplished.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The problem will be, with fee based help, is that is not congruent with the purpose of these forums. This especially is true in the homework area. There are plenty of sites that offer fee based answers and I don't think AAC wants to go down that path.

As to your question about building things, there are costs involved with any manufacturing process, and yes, even etching a circuit board is "manufacturing" a product. The problem with having a tangible property being transfered to another is that little area called "sales tax".

The second problem with the manufacturing process is product liability. Who is to say what someone you've never met in person, purchases a product from you and it is the cause of some disaster. Your pockets are not deep enough to fend off some lawyers.

If you'd like an example, lookup all the stuff automotive lighting needs to go through. Don't forget to view every state law that might be applicable. Now, multiply that by the number of countries that might have "additional" requirements. It's not that members of these forums "can't" it's simply there are too many requirements to know every one of them. Those requirements are why some lighting cost what is does and the reason why people come here to get help with designing their own. Compliance costs real money. There are members with professional credentials that would be at risk if they were involved in something involving non-compliance.

Ethics. Although I am not a member of IEEE, their ethics is something to be considered by all who strive to be Engineers.

AAC is the leading site for a reason. I tend to think the ethics here outpace other like minded sites. I think the establish rules define this site. Believe it or not, there was a time when AAC's future could have been like ETOs. Dave's decision to define a better way was instrumental in changing that path to the one we have today. The enforcers, our moderators, do an excellent job of maintaining the pathway.