troubleshooting a treadmill motor controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritzycat

Joined Jun 15, 2011
I have a Smooth 9.2P Treadmill and the treadmill belt no longer turns. The motor and Fuses all test out good. I’m hoping someone here can provide some motor controller troubleshooting suggestions that might help me resolve the issue. If I’ve excluded any important details, please let me know.

Background:
A little background information on how the issue came about:

The treadmill had been having some issues with the incline function, but the treadmill belt motor still worked fine so the treadmill was usable. On occasion, the incline motor would run all the way up or down without being commanded to do so, and the treadmill would shut down. While attempting to troubleshoot that issue, I found that if I unplugged the incline motor from the motor control board I could still use the treadmill – the belt motor would work normally – I just couldn’t use the incline function.

I should have left well enough alone, but I didn’t.

While continuing to troubleshoot the incline issue, the black wire leading to the incline motor that I disconnected from the control board touched resistor R30 on the board and a few blue sparks were observed. - Following that event, the treadmill belt motor no longer ran. L

I’m hoping someone can share some knowledge and suggestions on how they would go about troubleshooting and repairing this issue. I have basic knowledge of electronics, passable soldering/de-soldering skills, a multimeter, and I’m not afraid to use them. I’d be happy just to get the treadmill belt motor working again – I’m not concerned about the incline function working properly.

Details:
Here are some details on the motor controller and the tests I’ve performed. I’ve attached a photo of the control board for reference - click the thumbnail for a lager view

The Motor Controller board is a “Keys Health 08-0016” and quite difficult to find a replacement since the manufacturer is out of business.

I found information on the diagnostic LEDs on the Treadmill Doctor web site – http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/What-the-Motor-Control-LEDs-Mean-kf - Everything appears fairly normal except for when I try to start the treadmill belt.

Motor:
· I connected the treadmill drive motor to an 18V battery from a cordless drill, and the motor operates normally.

Controller Tests:
· Test: Fuses
· Result:
o All 3 fuses tested good for continuity

· Test: Plug Treadmill into AC outlet
· Result:
o Green “S F/B” Light turns ON
o Yellow “LVS” Light turns ON
o If the treadmill drive motor is spun manually, the “S F/B” light FLASHES

· Test: Press “Power” button Treadmill Control Panel
· Result:
o Red “RAIL” light turns ON
o Yellow “RLY1” light turns ON
o A second later the “RLY2” light turns ON and two FANS turn ON
o A few additional seconds later, Yellow “RLY1” light turns OFF

· Test: Press “Start” on Treadmill Control Panel
· Result
o Green “ESR” Light blinks
o Treadmill Drive Motor does NOT spin – no power to motor leads.
o After about 10 seconds, Green “RLY2” turns OFF – control panel indicates an “E11” error code.

Thanks in advance for your help!,

-Fritz

fritzycat

Joined Jun 15, 2011
ok, I probably overwhelmed you all with too much information on that original post.

I probably will not be able to troubleshoot this myself, and I'm getting fatter by the day with my treadmill down.

Does anyone know of a company that repairs motor control boards that I could ship this out to for repair?

Thanks,
Fat Fritz

steve2004

Joined Jul 23, 2011
Hi, I'm new to this forum. It make sense to replace the R30. Most resistors I think are 1/4 or 1/2 watts rated. If you touched it with 18 plus watts you probably fried it. I'm not sure Radio Shack has metal film resistors as in your pic (1-2% tolerance). I think they only have carbon resistors (5-10% tolerance). Resistors are cheap 4 for a dollar. If you have a soldering iron, just replace it.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
ok, I probably overwhelmed you all with too much information on that original post.

I probably will not be able to troubleshoot this myself, and I'm getting fatter by the day with my treadmill down.

Does anyone know of a company that repairs motor control boards that I could ship this out to for repair?

Thanks,
Fat Fritz
Are u upto it....If you are planning to fix it, we can guide you if you have soldering and DMM skills.

Just post better closeups of the board, upload high resolution pics to photobucket or the likes and post the links

and if you think you can't do it, ship it to me. I can fix it for you.

{ed} Bugger...I should have checked the date....!

beverly70

Joined Jun 21, 2014
can you fix my husbands treadmill? He is lost without it.
The treadmill is a keysfitness. The part no. is 08-0016.
We cant get the part. I see where you said you could fix the board to someone else.
Let me know I you could get the part or if I ship it to you can you fix it. My email is
biametti@optonline.net
Bev Iametti or Al

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
can you fix my husbands treadmill? He is lost without it.
The treadmill is a keysfitness. The part no. is 08-0016.
We cant get the part. I see where you said you could fix the board to someone else.
Let me know I you could get the part or if I ship it to you can you fix it. My email is
biametti@optonline.net
Bev Iametti or Al
Are you referring to me.?

fritzycat

Joined Jun 15, 2011
Hi All,

I just received an email notification there was an update to this old post of mine, so I thought I would check it out. It looks like I missed the original replies back in 2011 that really could have helped me out. Thanks to everyone that replied.

As a quick update: I was able to get my treadmill working again, but I wasn't able to repair the controller board. I ended up buying a very well-worn and abused (but working) Keys 8800 treadmill on Craigslist for $100 and swapped out the motor controller from that unit into mine (They Keys 8800 essentially the same as my Smooth 9.2P). They guy I bought the treadmill from said that Keys replaced his motor controller about a year after he bought it because it had failed. The part number for the motor controller in the Keys was different from mine, but it was still a direct replacement for my original 08-0016. I'll see if I can track down the part number and post it here for future reference.

My treadmill has been working ever since, and I use it almost daily as a treadmill-desk. I also now have a supply of other spare parts for my treadmill since I stripped out all the the parts from Keys and sent the steel frame off for recycling (about 110 lbs of steel!)

Good luck Beverly70! I hope R!f@@ can help you out!

Status
Not open for further replies.