tron box

stewdrover

Joined Jan 22, 2005
Originally posted by n9xv@Jan 22 2005, 11:26 AM
Elaborate a bit  :unsure:
[post=4733]Quoted post[/post]​

its a little device that is supose to slow down the electric meter, disk spins slower, ya dont get screwed so much foir power.

scematic can be found on line, just a few capacitors and resistor,
unit calle 'tron box'

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Ok, now I'am with you. Its been a while since I came accross that topic. I've heard of people using VERY powerful magnets around the meter to do that too!
I'll check out the schematic online, now I'am really curious.

stewdrover

Joined Jan 22, 2005
Originally posted by n9xv@Jan 23 2005, 09:25 AM
Ok, now I'am with you. Its been a while since I came accross that topic. I've heard of people using VERY powerful magnets around the meter to do that too!
I'll check out the schematic online, now I'am really curious.
[post=4754]Quoted post[/post]​

ta n9xv, as i remember its 4 caps in paralel, (120 or 240 volt depending on location) and one resistor. in series with caps.

trouble is, magnets are about as discret as the pin through the side idea. this baby, if it works is inside where it cant be seen

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
I did find that circuit on the web. It sounds like the one your talking about. They said it was ment to be used at night or low current activity times. But even at that, it seems like the greatest concern is the resistor. The showed about 20-30-Ohms.
A couple of amps through a 25-Ohm resistor is 100-Watts of heat dissapation. You would want a resistor of at least twice that rating to be safe. I dont know if thats a circuit I would feel comfortable enough to leave in place while I'am asleep!

The RC time constant works out to be about twice the periode of the 60-Hz AC power frequency. The period at 60-Hz is 16-mS. They claim that at some point in a low current draw situation that you can make the power meter go backwards!
Well, lets just say they have'nt convenced me yet! I dont see why you could'nt do the same thing with an inductor. That seem to be alot safer anyway! That would throw the voltage out of phase with the current as well.

An interesting proposition to say the least! - - - To be continued B)

stewdrover

Joined Jan 22, 2005
Originally posted by n9xv@Jan 26 2005, 02:20 AM
I did find that circuit on the web. It sounds like the one your talking about. They said it was ment to be used at night or low current activity times. But even at that, it seems like the greatest concern is the resistor. The showed about 20-30-Ohms.
A couple of amps through a 25-Ohm resistor is 100-Watts of heat dissapation. You would want a resistor of at least twice that rating to be safe. I dont know if thats a circuit I would feel comfortable enough to leave in place while I'am asleep!

The RC time constant works out to be about twice the periode of the 60-Hz AC power frequency. The period at 60-Hz is 16-mS. They claim that at some point in a low current draw situation that you can make the power meter go backwards!
Well, lets just say they have'nt convenced me yet! I dont see why you could'nt do the same thing with an inductor. That seem to be alot safer anyway! That would throw the voltage out of phase with the current as well.

An interesting proposition to say the least! - - - To be continued B)
[post=4810]Quoted post[/post]​
i figured about doubling the caps voltage and resistor to enable it to handle 240 volt, but from what you say, .. treble the resistance might be best.

Do the same thing with an inductor? hmmm sounds interesting, do you have a schematic for that?

djrazz

Joined Feb 5, 2005
ok i built one of these and either i'm stupid or im reading the schematic wrong
basicly it creates a short and blows the fuse in about a split second
im leary about trying this without the fuse as this would probbably throw breaker
or worse

have you tried anything with that inductor you were talking about ?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

The internal disk that spins to run the gears is driven by eddy currents. The coils that produce the eddy currents in the rotor are very close to the rotor. Imagine how large the external electric field would have to be in order to override the arangement in the meter. It would pull enough current to attract attention. Might even put a big sag in the drop to your weatherhead, or cause the pole pig to lose its smoke.

Buy some booze for a utility worker and get a seal. Get into the meter and run the +/- adjustment all the way to minus. If no adjustment, tighten a bearing very slightly to slow the rotor. Replace the seal. You'll live longer. Anything that contacts unfused conductors is beyond lethal.

djrazz

Joined Feb 5, 2005
yeah so i tried it with out the fuse the resistors burned out pretty cool actually
in about 3 seconds
i then tried straight caps on a 15 amp circuit thats only running a light

it didn't flip the breaker but it made the lights dim
and the caps got hot very quickly i only rean this for a few seconds

!!!!!!!!!!!disclamer!!!!!!!!
unless your experienced in dealing with high voltage do not attempt any of what i have done
it is dangerous and potentaly letal

and anyways this circuit doesn't do anything but explode anyways