Transfer characteristic of this circuit?

nepowoBoy

Joined Jan 7, 2022
I am studying for one of my exams, and I'm not sure what the transfer characteristic of a circuit like this would be? Do I need to get an impedance or is there another step?

The output of interest would be the voltage across the resistor. How would I go about doing this?
Please see the circuit below:
1641595168399.png

Thank you very much for the help in advance.

blue_coder

Joined May 7, 2016
Do you have an exam question or text book question with this in, which you could share verbatim? I'm struggling to understand the question. Is there a voltage coming in from somewhere?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It looks like a current source with a parallel RC. Actually not very interesting, since it achieves a steady state pretty quickly.

nepowoBoy

Joined Jan 7, 2022
Do you have an exam question or text book question with this in, which you could share verbatim? I'm struggling to understand the question. Is there a voltage coming in from somewhere?
The question just has that circuit without values and asks me to describe the transfer characteristic across the resistance in terms of the current source supply Id.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is a bit confusing because while the voltage across the resistor is easily found, V= I x R, if we can assume tat the triangle symbol represents "ground", and "V" is presumed to be relative to that reference.
If that assumption is not what intended then we have a more complex arrangement of a resistor, a capacitor, and a current source in parallel.
If the intention is actually to know the voltage across the resistor as a function of time, starting at t=0, then quite a bit of information is missing, namely the impedance of the current source. If we assume infinite impedance then the voltage will rise as the capacitor charges until the voltage reaches the IR drop of the resistor.

But I regard thi as a trick question because the normal expression of a transfer function is Vout/Vin, and the circuit has neither in nor out defined.