Tough Times - UK

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It's not the tax cuts they want. It's the pork that they are trying to add.

The WH advisor warned that without extending the Bush tax rates, we will be pushed into another recession. No one wants that, least of all the incumbents. It is also a golden opportunity to add pork, so if the Republicans block it, then failure to extend the Bush tax rates falls on their shoulders. No one will look at the reasons for that. It has become another $880 billion plus, unfunded stimulus plan. In other words, Politics as Usual.

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
How to create jobs "101" I'm working on that,I think I will start my own
business again.I am having some forms sent to me,After my presentation today
I had a board member ask me my Interest,I ask him his Interest,he said equipment.
I just want to tell people where to find equipment and price with discount using
s.s. number for I.R.S...Stay tuned.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I've heard the bush cuts do nothing and rely on reagans trickle down theory which has never worked.
The "Trickle Down Economics" started in the late 80's are the reason for the .com boom in the 90's. Then .gov got involved with banks again, and we had the crash in 2000.

It works quite well, as long as the government doesn't try to "help".

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Famous words one doesn't want to hear ... I'm from the government and I'm here to help.. That never happens.

As far as trickle down economics ... where does investment capital come from?

Naturally the U.S. government has investment capital for small business' via their microLoans. Visit the SBA for more information.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Tell that too me after a guy in a yellow waterproof reflective jacket pulls you out of a burning building. You can bet your bottom dollar as your warning people to evacuate when you first hear that siren coming you actually feel better. I bring this up because we recently had a fire and lost most everything but small stuff. Plus in FL were not used to this cold so we have numerous trailors catch on fire from space heaters every night. That is unless a frozen iguana falls on your power line or transformer and knocks your power out first.
Like I stated earlier. The government will be more than happy to help you if you turn in your pride and desire to be a NON-productive citizen. You cannot be both a tax payer and get any sort of benefits. The Welfare State has gotten to the point where you are either reliant on the government, or you are paying taxes. There IS NO "In Between".

The reason you see people with nice cars while on welfare is because they found ways around "No In Between". If they got a nice car that wasn't leased, they'd have to get a job and all that stuff. If they lease, the government pays their rent, buys their food, and covers all their medical bills just to stay alive and essentially be as non-productive as possible.

They cannot "Try a Job to see if they can do better", since when they get a job, they are booted off all the gov't programs they've lived with for generations.

I know this from speaking to a few who got sick of it, learning a trade, and eventually starting a business. I've never seen anybody so bitter about paying taxes as somebody that used to be on the receiving end of those funds. It's the same as keeping Native Americans "on the reservations". It does them no good, growth and health wise.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
It's ridiculous as I'm looking near £50k to go through university instead of about £12k. I'll be paying off debts forever. They are also cutting back on EMA (educational maintenance allowance, about £120/month) so money's getting tight.
At the risk of my wanting to stay apolitical here on AAC I will say: whilst I support the premise of free education because of the benefits of an educated and skill workforce, I also support the need for sustainability of public finances. As is, with a target of 50% of people going to university doing all manner of courses (you judge the value of which) a free system sadly isn't an option. Furthermore, the more people who have degrees only serves to dilute the value of them. Those that oppose the rises need to see where the problem lies.

Dave

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I agree that universities are getting too crowded and the degrees are becoming toilet paper. But is the solution out of this the exlusion from the serious knowledge of anyone else other than the rich a viable choice? Good professionals are equipped with innovative minds, healthy ambitions and respect for their work, not bucks.

The filter that will reduce the number of students must be harder entering exams, not higher tutoring fees.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The filter that will reduce the number of students must be harder entering exams, not higher tutoring fees.
Agreed, however, higher education is pretty much a business these days. Scholarships apart, as intelligent as one may be, if you don't have money they don't let you in.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Agreed, however, higher education is pretty much a business these days. Scholarships apart, as intelligent as one may be, if you don't have money they don't let you in.
Here, you can get scholarships and grants from a few sources, no matter your income level/history, if you show strong promise. They do require some things though, such as attendance and maintaining a grade average. They also give out college tuition for being good at sports.

"Advanced Education" is just that, not grades 13-17.