Total resistance in parallel/serial hybrid circuit

Ulfalizer

Joined Jun 29, 2005
How do I calculate the total resistance in the following circuit? I can't find any way to break it up into strictly parallel, serial parts while keeping the resistor terminals that should be electrically common so.

Rich (BB code):
 |----------------|
 |        |
 |       /  \
 |       /   \
 |      r1    r2
 |      /     \
v1     |-----r3-----|
 |      \     /
 |      r4    r5
 |       \   /
 |       \  /
 |        |
 |----------------|
The r components are resistors and the v component is a voltage source. Make up whatever numbers you wish for the voltage and resistances, I'm only interested in how you solve it.

Any help appreciated,
Ulf

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by Ulfalizer@Jul 10 2005, 06:31 PM
How do I calculate the total resistance in the following circuit? I can't find any way to break it up into strictly parallel, serial parts while keeping the resistor terminals that should be electrically common so.

Rich (BB code):
 |----------------|
 |                |
 |              /   \
 |             /     \
 |           r1       r2
 |           /          \
v1         |-----r3-----|
 |           \          /
 |           r4       r5
 |             \     /
 |              \   /
 |                |
 |----------------|
The r components are resistors and the v component is a voltage source. Make up whatever numbers you wish for the voltage and resistances, I'm only interested in how you solve it.

Any help appreciated,
Ulf
[post=9016]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi Ulfalizer,

You have come to a great place to pose that question. AAC has a terrific tutorial on this very subject. One way to solve this type of problem is to use the wye-to-delta conversion. This technique is well covered in the tutorial. Just follow the link below to access the material.

Y to delta conversion

hgmjr

Ulfalizer

Joined Jun 29, 2005
Originally posted by hgmjr@Jul 11 2005, 12:46 AM
Hi Ulfalizer,

You have come to a great place to pose that question. AAC has a terrific tutorial on this very suibject. One way to solve this type of problem is to use the wye-to-delta conversion. This technique is well covered in the tutorial. Just follow the link below to access the material.

Y to delta conversion

hgmjr
[post=9017]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks! Those equations weren't even that hard to derive from the fact that the resistance between any two terminals should be the same in both forms. Not that I would have thought of it in the first place :)

Ulf

abbas_6007

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hello.
i am a new member and i want to give u answer frm my mind.
first multiply all the resistance and then get LCM of it then u will get a parrallel equation, putting all the resistances values in that equation.
reply me if some problem occur.