TOSLINK - 2 different ports named

Techman101101

Joined Apr 16, 2019
Hello all,

What are the two different Toslink ports called please?

Please see the pics that I uploaded to help reduce confusion.

A customer of mine has a TV with only a Toslink optical digital audio output. And they have asked me to convert that to a 3.5mm headphones jack. And I want to make sure that I order the correct converter.

Thank you in advance (smile)

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A customer of mine has a TV with only a Toslink optical digital audio output. And they have asked me to convert that to a 3.5mm headphones jack.
Did you ask why? The TOSLINK port sends digital data and cannot drive headphones, nor be used by anything that normally accepts a 3.5mm jack. You can convert from TOSLINK to a S/PDIF RCA phono plug, but that is also digital and not like a typical analog signal you'd find on an RCA jack.

If they want to listen to the TOSLINK audio over headphones, you need a device in between the decode digital audio to analog. That's probably an easy thing to find and would allow a TOSLINK cable input with an analog audio output.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I have no idea what you´re asking. Do you mean what is the difference between the toslink connectors on those two different boxes?

Techman101101

Joined Apr 16, 2019
Thank you ALL very much for taking the time to reply (smile)

If you look CLOSELY at the two images that I uploaded with my original post you will see that the 2 Toslink s/pdif OUT digital optical audio ports are each shaped differently.

I was wondering what they are each called.

They are almost never used so it is understandable that pretty much no one knows what they are called..... in fact in all my years of computer and electronics repair (component level) entertainment set ups, etc. I have only connected one other Toslink audio system. I always see those ports but have always used copper conductor.

Anyway it does not really matter as I was just curious about what the two different ports are actually called.

And “Electricspidey” came the closest with recommending what I needed.

I had already ordered (before I read anyone’s replies) what I needed. Please follow this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digital-Optical-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01AWBA8U8

This one comes with the correct shape “Optical Digital Audio Out” port that matches the back of the TV. And it also comes with an A/C transformer. As I’m sure most of you guys know a lot of USB ports are underpowered and I do not recommend using them as a power supply...... especially to spin up hard drives.

As far as using the device in the link above directly to the headphones...... I am aware that the signal will need to be amplified..... I have an old set of external computer speakers that I will give them that has a 3.5mm headphone port on them.

And then this to convert RCA R/L to 3.5mm audio ports:

https://www.pchcables.com/3stjato2rcap.html

Anyway..... thank you all very much for your time (smile)
Live long and prosper.

Techman101101

Joined Apr 16, 2019
I owe you lunch “ElectricSpidey” would you like a deceased and dehydrated dragonfly burger or a sautéed and eviscerated mosquito sandwich? (LOL).

Just kidding.... but I would be happy to buy you lunch (Smile)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If you look CLOSELY at the two images that I uploaded with my original post you will see that the 2 Toslink s/pdif OUT digital optical audio ports are each shaped differently.
That doesn't matter - you're just seeing the outer "door" that keeps junk out of the port and that can vary but the male and female parts of the connectors are mostly the same between manufacturers, with a few notable exceptions.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I would say that that those two are the same exact type of connector, just the housing and dust doors look a little different, but should be interchangeable.

Techman101101

Joined Apr 16, 2019
Thank you very much guys I was too lazy to search through my tons of spare hardware and plug a Toslink cable into both and then make sure I could get a good audible output; instead I went by the pics. And I was confused by some web posts that say there are two different types of S/pdif ports. Like this site does:

https://www.lindy.co.uk/spdif-connections-explained-i70

Now this one has pics but the two other sites that I read had no pictures and just said there were two different types. And I know what 75 ohm coax is over the years I have worked with it a lot.... It has the FEEL of BNC from back in the days (lol)

Anyway you guys cleared it up for me... thanks :)

Techman101101

Joined Apr 16, 2019
Just wanted to let every one know that it worked just fine and they are able to use there headphones with the Optical Digital Audio Out (aka: Toslink) port on there TV with just these items:

94DD2F7E-3019-4486-BA46-47D0D60407CD.png
95F3012F-C5F0-4A21-BDDA-747912A97D6F.png CBA079D3-D216-43B4-8022-AA771F6D4335.jpeg
And I was able to do all this for less then $20 (twenty dollars) within a couple days thanks to Amazon Prime next day FREE shipping.
So thank you all.

(PS. @Papabravo ..... Are you freaking kidding? $637 or $1,299 ..... I seriously hope no one follows your poor advice!!!)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Just wanted to let every one know that it worked just fine and they are able to use there headphones with the Optical Digital Audio Out (aka: Toslink) port on there TV with just these items:

View attachment 175774
View attachment 175772 View attachment 175775
And I was able to do all this for less then $20 (twenty dollars) within a couple days thanks to Amazon Prime next day FREE shipping.
So thank you all.

(PS. @Papabravo ..... Are you freaking kidding? $637 or $1,299 ..... I seriously hope no one follows your poor advice!!!)
No, I'm not kidding. Don't blame me, I don't make policy or set prices. I was just one of the guys in the back room doing the work. It obviously is a market segment you are unfamiliar with. The margins may be high but the development cost for high end audio products is high as well. The volumes are also not mass market volumes.

Techman101101

Joined Apr 16, 2019
No, I'm not kidding. Don't blame me, I don't make policy or set prices. I was just one of the guys in the back room doing the work. It obviously is a market segment you are unfamiliar with. The margins may be high but the development cost for high end audio products is high as well. The volumes are also not mass market volumes.[/QUOTE

Do you honestly feel good that you would recommend a solution that wastes at least $600 of a customers money? Especially without offering a less then $20 solution that solves the customers initial request.

If so, that is terrible work and a total rip off!

As I said I have only used Toslink once before out of hundreds of entertainment systems that I have configured and setup. And I would not have used it now if there had been a different connectivity option.

I can tell, you are very intelligent. But either your morals are severely suffering or you did not know about a much more cost efficient solution.

Oh, and I actually do the work!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Remember -- it was not designed as a solution to your problem. I only suggested it because I was unaware of any alternatives. I don't have one, you don't have one, and no sane person I know has one so get off my back.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's worth noting that anyone that cares about sound quality wouldn't use one of these in a home theater environment. The D/A converter and headphone amp in a cheap device like this are not likely to be the quality of an A/V receiver. And, the digital audio coming out over TOSLINK could never carry the full channels and bandwidth of even a DVD movie, let alone a Blu-Ray, 4K or other modern stream. You need HDMI for that. Stereo at CD quality is about it for TOSLINK.

Techman101101

Joined Apr 16, 2019
Just so everyone knows..... the solution that I have actually applied and others in this string have suggested works GREAT. That is why they make this little inexpensive converter because it absolutely positively does work. Optical disk quality is just fine for the average end user.

These items and of course headphones work fantastic and at a very reasonable price.

85BD8300-A6AB-460D-882B-8933F0CD3ABF.png E5C6D36E-9026-4081-8435-308E000B2F3D.png 7763E5C4-4780-4100-B55B-EA9A3545C825.jpeg

“Ah, the hubris of some people!”