Too much ac ripple ps32 lab

slotcarnutt

Joined Nov 29, 2018
I have a ps32 ad lab power supply that is putting out too much ac ripple can anyone help me to reduce the ac ripple? if I understand what's happening I have a bad capacitor in the unit what's the best way to find it?

slotcarnutt

Joined Nov 29, 2018
I'm not a electronics guy yet just starting to learn so I don't have a scope too check it yet one on the way and I don't know what a smps means all I know is what I have read now that I have found a good site too learn from I plan too take my pc repairs too the next level, thanks Max and Albert for the help. I'm still waiting for the guy that sold it too me to let me fix it, should know in an hour or so. Slotcarnutt

slotcarnutt

Joined Nov 29, 2018
I opened it up and I don't have a blown cap I guess I will have wait until I get a scope too fix it unless one of you guys can tell me what size cap I can use too try too cut the ac ripple

slotcarnutt

Joined Nov 29, 2018
I race slotcars and have this in the past the motors in the cars will smell when the supply has too much ripple and burnup quickly

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Here is the problem. Ripple is an artifact of using a full wave rectifier followed by a smoothing capacitor in a power supply. The ripple is a periodic waveform with a frequency of 120 Hz. Your anecdotal evidence for detecting ripple has a dubious provenance. In a SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply), the "noise" riding on top of the DC Output is of much higher frequency and much shorter duration. the total energy contained in this noise is minuscule. I can tell you that a DC motor will hardly notice such artifacts since they are of substantially higher frequency than 120 Hz., on top of which an inductor, as a load, is a natural low-pass filter.