To paraphrase a famous physicist...

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
For production you can build a series of prototypes and make any changes needed to make it better and cheaper.
I worked making functional test systems and you only get one go at that. The design and construction has to meet the specification at the first go. Component cost is dwarfed by the design cost as it was usually making just one system. It gives a different view of the design process.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
For production you can build a series of prototypes and make any changes needed to make it better and cheaper.
I worked making functional test systems and you only get one go at that. The design and construction has to meet the specification at the first go. Component cost is dwarfed by the design cost as it was usually making just one system. It gives a different view of the design process.
From a lifecycle perspective, a lot of the attempts at cost shedding by reducing component costs is misguided—unless you don't care about the product once it has been purchased. That's why a reputable manufacturer doesn't produce junk.

It appears the some companies can actually sell things that just plain don't work even from the start, then just throw away the identity they used to market that and do it again.

Your point that product deign is a complicated thing that, done properly, must account for the entire lifecycle is cogent. The trouble comes when the ethical requirement to market a product fit for purpose is secondary to immediate profit.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Most of the products I dealt with were not consumer products, for example the ministry of defence, avionics and even mobile phones (which need to be approved by the network provider), and so different rules apply to manufacture.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
From the EEpower site:
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Failure is an option here. If things arent failing, you arent innovating enough.”
- Elon Musk

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
You can't reduce component count by removing components from the circuit you have. You need a better circuit that requires fewer components from the outset.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
An other QUOTE OF THE DAY from EEPower:
“What we usually consider as impossible are simply engineering problems… there’s no law of physics preventing them.”
- Michio Kaku

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I am dealing with the fact that my wife just bought a car from that guy. And her brother who used to be a guy working for whatever HP follow on and ranting about meeting with the SpaceX guys who were using retail grade products in their systems. It’s the end of the world for quality. Sigh.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
An other QUOTE OF THE DAY from EEPower
“Successful engineering is all about understanding how things break or fail.”
- Henry Petroski

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
An other QUOTE OF THE DAY from EEPower
“Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.”
- Theodore von Karman

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
An other QUOTE OF THE DAY from EEPower:
“When you want to know how things really work, study them when they are coming apart.”
- William Gibson